Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walker-Turner 16" Bandsaw

Ha! I just noticed that indeed this thread is three years old.
    How about some photos of the WT now?

My apologies, folks! I should have updated this thread long ago! The bandsaw was moved from upstate New York on a snowy January day and carefully situated in my shop. It was slowly disassembled, with lots of photos for how things go back together and then the consulting job of a lifetime came my way and I've been working full time since then! Lots of travel over to Abu Dhabi and also lots of "please" projects around the house. Most of those are now finished, with the exception of a kitchen reno and tearing out the master bath and upgrading it.

Back to the bandsaw... the pot metal parts of the trunnion adjustment all had cracks and I've been able to replace those when I get around to putting the beast back together. Also, both tires were absolutely shot so I have to decide if I want to get new vulcanized tires or simply got with the widely available urethane replacements. Vulcanizing isn't cheap but it's supposed to be much less trouble to set up tracking. The wheel bearings seem to be in good shape but I'll pull them, clean out the old grease and repack them before putting things back together.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

I would recommend the rubber tires from Woodworker's Toolworks for that saw. They'll need to be glued on and properly crowned, and should then work great. Unlike some smaller bandsaws, I don't believe there is a groove for the tire in the wheels, so I don't think a eurethane tire would work well.

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    I would recommend the rubber tires from Woodworker's Toolworks for that saw. They'll need to be glued on and properly crowned, and should then work great. Unlike some smaller bandsaws, I don't believe there is a groove for the tire in the wheels, so I don't think a eurethane tire would work well.

--Geoff
    I would second this. Get new rubber from Woodworkers Toolworks and glue it on with what he recommends. You can crown the rubber a dozen different ways but I haven’t seen anything easier than Keith Rucker’s sandpaper on a stick.
    https://youtu.be/zz04k-GMF38

I should also mention that, in the restoration queue, I have 3 1/2 old Buffalo Forge 15" drill presses to turn into one pimped-out personal version and one more to share with someone that deserves special favour from the woodworking gods, a 12" Parks planers with an old R/I motor, and a Wadkin 30" Apprentice's lathe all waiting for my personal touch to bring back to glory.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    I should also mention that, in the restoration queue, I have 3 1/2 old Buffalo Forge 15" drill presses to turn into one pimped-out personal version and one more to share with someone that deserves special favour from the woodworking gods, a 12" Parks planers with an old R/I motor, and a Wadkin 30" Apprentice's lathe all waiting for my personal touch to bring back to glory.
    Hi Ron,
    I also have a Buffalo 15 disassembled and partially cleaned up, which is cluttering up a corner of my shop. (I have a larger Clausing press that I found shortly after I acquired the Buffalo, and it needed only some cleaning and new bearings and a belt to be put in service*, so I am less motivated to finish the Buffalo.) When you get around to your Buffaloes (sp?), I hope you post your work to give some guidance and inspiration!

* edited to add: also required a vfd to run in my single phase shop.
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 02-04-2020 at 2:14 PM. Reason: Memory failure