Thread: Question about Dewalt DW618PK Adjustment Ring

Question Question about Dewalt DW618PK Adjustment Ring

(cross posted on lumberjocks so sorry if you read this twice)
    I just picked up a new DEWALT DW618PK 12-AMP 2-1/4 HP Plunge and Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router Kit. I noticed that when I tighten down the cam lock on the fixed base, I can still turn the adjustment ring and thus raise and lower the bit.
    I have tightened the cam lock as much as possible, but the bit remains adjustable… Is this normal? I’m concerned that motor vibrations might cause the bit height to change mid-cut.

I figured many people on this form have this router and can tell me their experiences.
    Thanks,
    JGreasy

You can tighten/adjust the lever tighter.
    Tho there is substantial mechanical advantage from said ring when the motor lock is deployed, you should not be able to raise the motor with it.

Thanks, Pat! I think I may have gotten a lemon, because I've tightened the lever to the max, but it seems to pull the two sides of the base together before it pinches the router and prevents movement.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Back to Lowes I go

I have 2 of those and neither does that. If anything, the base is almost too tight on the motor... it's somewhat difficult to remove the base even after unlocking the cam.