Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Sander - AEG HBSE 75S - Information to Share

Belt Sander - AEG HBSE 75S - Information to Share

I tried searching for information about my AEG 3" belt sander, the HBSE 75S. When I ordered it in 1995-1996 it was highly rated in a review by Fine Woodworking. The company changed hands several times since then and manuals and related information are hard to find. At one point the company distributed Milwaukee tools in Europe and each made some duplicate tools (same machine just dressed differently.) It is a variable speed, worm-drive sander with a tough motor.

One weak spot I've found is that if a belt breaks just as it passes over the rear, drive roller, it can jam in a dust cover that is just forward of the roller. I could find no Owner/s Manual or parts breakdown page on the web.

1) I've scanned the owner's manual to an Acrobat document. Is there a place to deposit a copy at Sawmill Creek so that others can access it?

2) I've taken a bunch of digital photos showing where the screws are that need to be removed to get into the inner workings of the motor and worm drive.

I'm putting together an Acrobat file of images and words to remind me how to disassemble this tool. Is there a place for me to make it available to others?

I've included a photo of the motor/worm drive side of the case. Clearly the 20-year-old grease should be cleaned out and replaced. The gear faces appear to be under-lubricated to me. I'd appreciate recommendations for what to use. Clearly this is a worm drive that is not sealed like the one in a worm-drive Skilsaw.

I'd also appreciate comments regarding extending the life of the rubber drive drum. It is starting to crack at one edge. It is unlikely I will find a replacement, or, if I do it will be just as old and prone to cracking and failure.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Attached Images Attached Images

I suspect that belt sander was made by Tooltechnic and was re-sold by Milwaukee, Holz-Her, Bosch and others. I don't think it's sold in the US any more but you may be able to obtain parts and a manual fom Festool as they still make it: https://www.festool.de/Produkte/Page...r-BS-75-E-Plus

If this is the same model, you'll probably get some more answers from the Festool Owner's Group forum.

Great timing-- mine just broke! With much searching I have found a source for replacement belts in the UK http://www.solenttools.co.uk/aeg-bel...82-389983-.php, but would love to have a US source.

With the sanding frame this is still a very useful tool I'd hate to lose. I hope you can find a place to post the information.

Roger,

Just to be perfectly clear, you must mean the cogged drive belt.

One day soon I will need the rear, drive drum, or at least the rubber cover to replace the original. Mine is starting to crack on one edge.

Thanks for sharing what you know.

After reading what happened to the guy who registered the owners group name for Festool tools on Sawmillcreek, I'm uncomfortable sharing information about a tool even though mine was made by AEG, the company I trust they purchased design patent rights from, to make an equivalent looking tool. He gave up and gave them the URL rather than try to defend himself against a large international law firm.

Here's a link to the 'currently available (?)' Festool belt sander (perhaps in Europe?)

https://www.festool.com/Products/Pag...r-BS-75-E-Plus

Unfortunately, Festool has never elected to introduce their belt sander in the USA. Since international AC power is 240 V, 50 Hz, they figure that there is no need for any parts in the USA. My first attempts at finding parts via their international website have come up short.

Sadly,

John

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Great timing-- mine just broke! With much searching I have found a source for replacement belts in the UK http://www.solenttools.co.uk/aeg-bel...82-389983-.php, but would love to have a US source.

With the sanding frame this is still a very useful tool I'd hate to lose. I hope you can find a place to post the information.

That's correct the cogged drive belt. I had't used the sander for a while and when I started it up a substantial fraction of the teeth on the belt stripped right off.

For the roller drive there are many companies around that put new rubber coatings on rollers (for example http://www.jjshort.com/Rubber-Covered-Rollers-Intro.php), many of them are small shops that are happy to do one-off small projects. If you can get the part off I'm pretty sure re-covering it would not be a big deal, though it may cost a few bucks. I had the drive rollers on a mechanical organ recovered and the price was quite reasonable.

Probable History of AEG Power Tools

Peter,

Thank you for your tips.

After a bit of company history searching, I found three interesting articles

http://www.aeg-powertools.eu/header/about-aeg/

AEG began making power tools in 1898. More to the point:

"...in 1991, AEG Powertools become part of the Atlas Copco group (AEG as a manufacturing company was dissolved in 1996)."

I purchased my sander in 1995-1996, during this period.

"TTI’s acquisition of Atlas Copco’s power tool and accessories business in 2005 brought the Group not one but two world-beating brands in the professional power tools sector. Along with Milwaukee, AEG Powertools gave TTI a globally recognized stable of high-performing products with strong appeal for construction professionals, and tradesmen."

http://tts-company.lt/en/history

Tooltechnic (or TTI) is a fairly recent company

"UAB "TTS Tooltechnic Systems" started in 1992 as subsidiary company, representing German brands FESTO and Festo Tooltechnic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Copco

This link just tells us that "Atlas Copco is a Swedish industrial company that was founded in 1873."

As far as I have been able to determine, Festool may still make and sell a belt sander based on the AEG HBSE 75S, they sure look the same, but it is only made in a 240V 50 Hz version for sale in those parts of the world that use the European AC power standard. Festool has never sold a belt sander in the USA, so they do not support or sell parts or provide information regarding this product in North America.

It would be useful and helpful if anyone knows just which companies sold belt sanders based on the 75S design. Perhaps Milwaukee or Bosch might still provide parts, etc. The whole story seems a bit more than I want to try to assemble today.

Thanks again,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I suspect that belt sander was made by Tooltechnic and was re-sold by Milwaukee, Holz-Her, Bosch and others. I don't think it's sold in the US any more but you may be able to obtain parts and a manual fom Festool as they still make it: https://www.festool.de/Produkte/Page...r-BS-75-E-Plus

If this is the same model, you'll probably get some more answers from the Festool Owner's Group forum.

Lightbulb

You might be able to get the spare parts from Metabo...

Peter,

Thank you for the treasure trove of photos. The 75 mm belt is clearly what is called a 3" belt in the last major holdout for English imperial units of measure.

I'll keep looking.

thanks,

john

I have an AEG half sheet finish sander that I bought in the late '70s that still works fine, but I rarely ever use it.

I won't include the images a second time. They are easy to see up the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    You might be able to get the spare parts from Metabo...
    I made an inquiry and received this answer today:

RE: E-Mail via metabousa.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:09 AM

To: "Baum" <baumgrenze@yahoo.com>

Dear Sir,
    Since this tool is so old I would recommend www.ereplacementparts.com

Jeff Amoriello
    Customer Service Representative

I replied suggesting that it appears that George Orwell was right when he said in "1984", "ending is better than mending."

I also asked why anyone would sell and/or purchase a tool 'built to last a lifetime' when expendable rubber parts like a cogged drive belt or a coated drive wheel would no longer be available when they 'died of old age but the machine still had miles on it.' Think of a automobile with proprietary tires that could only be purchased for say 5 years. It makes the whole notion of solidly built tools as anachronistic as a buggy whip.

Thanks to everyone for persisting. I posted today on the practical machinist website asking for maintenance suggestions. Worm drive saws have a sealed metal compartment for their worm drive. The oil needs to be changed just like the oil in a car. Using grease to lubricate a worm drive somehow doesn't make sense. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks to all

John

11. John, did you find a source for the belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kellough View Post
    John, did you find a source for the belt?
    I think it was me looking for the drive bet, and yes, I bought it from the place in England I listed above. No problems aside from having to pay VAT I didn't owe. Their system couldn't accommodate not charging it, and was not enough to hassle over getting a refund. Sander is once again happy.

13. Glad you found it Roger. I found sources in France and Germany so yours is surely more convenient.

I also found a link to an interesting 1992 Popular Mechanics article on belt sanders.

14. I am new to the forum so hope I am posting correctly. I have a 1979 AEG HBSE 75S. Thanks to other posts I checked out the Festool BS75 and except for the dust extraction port it appeared to be exactly the same machine. So I took a chance and ordered the Festool sanding frame online from SauterShop in Germany (their webpage translates quite well). Received it in a few weeks (Hawaii) and love it. I also found Festool BS75 parts online from the UK: https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/fes...-parts-s16764/. So its a new world of easy online worldwide shopping.

15. I would like to correct my previous post. The dust extraction port on the AEG HBSE 75S is identical to the Festool BS75 so the Festool dust adapter does fit the AEG.