Thread: Salt & Pepper shakers question

Salt & Pepper shakers question

I have had the urge to turn some of these to give as gifts and was wondering if it is necessary to seal the insides?

If y'all have turned some of these, please feel free to post some pictures

Thanks,
    Be Blessed

George

It is not necessary, however, some do it. I don't, but do sand the inside and blow it out well.

Shellac

I seal the inside of my mills with Zinsser Bulls Eye SealCoat Universal Sanding Sealer, 100% Wax-Free Shellac. Easy to apply. Quick drying. Food safe. Available at Rockler, Big Box stores, etc.

Photos of some mills attached. - John
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with John. You can look up your wood species to find out if it has an toxicity issues, but sealing with shellac is so easy to do. I've only turned a few, but they are a very satisfying project. And for me, a very time-consuming one since I'm pretty slow. Here is a picture of one I turned last year for a Christmas present. I turned another identical one for my wife, since she so seldom is the recipient of any of my projects -- other than the house remodeling we are doing. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't seal the insides if the shakers are made of "Food" woods like hard maple (syrup) or Mesquite (smoking wood). However, if the woods are rosewoods, exotics, oily, or have any kind of spaulting or fungus, I seal them with shellac. Epoxy would be better for the fungus, spault, rosewoods or oily stuff, even if there is only a small amount of them present. I have made several, with a small amount of exotics for an accent, and I feel that they need to be sealed. Here is a sample, Mesquite, holly and ebony.

_MG_7333.jpg_MG_7334.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    I don't seal the insides if the shakers are made of "Food" woods like hard maple (syrup) or Mesquite (smoking wood). However, if the woods are rosewoods, exotics, oily, or have any kind of spaulting or fungus, I seal them with shellac. Epoxy would be better for the fungus, spault, rosewoods or oily stuff, even if there is only a small amount of them present. I have made several, with a small amount of exotics for an accent, and I feel that they need to be sealed. Here is a sample, Mesquite, holly and ebony.

_MG_7333.jpg_MG_7334.jpg
    I really your nice symmetrical and flowing design.

I've only made some in Cherry and I didn't even think of sealing them I just blew them out with my air hose before assembly.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith