Thread: Good Hardwood and Sheet Goods Source in Fairfield County, CT

Good Hardwood and Sheet Goods Source in Fairfield County, CT

I stumbled upon Downe and Reader (from Massachusetts) who recently opened a branch in Milford, CT. They are a huge place with an extensive inventory of domestic and exotic hardwoods as well as hardwood plywood of all types. Their clientele is mainly contractors and wholesale, but I found out today that they welcome retail customers and I was treated like royalty for my 12 board feet of walnut hardwood.

I arrived near the end of the day, but Tim and Bill did not rush me and helped me to select the few boards from their large cache of walnut. All wood is in the rough but they do milling on the spot. My wife is disabled so they asked me to drive my car into the warehouse so that she could be part of the process. Since I am a neophyte in buying rough lumber, Tim patiently asked me what my needs were and he advised against many boards until he was satisfied that it met my needs.

I paid $7.65/board foot plus a $20 minimum charge to mill two surfaces and edge one side. He showed me several sheets of 3/4 Walnut veneer plywood (plain sliced and book matched) for my project at $110/sheet. I will be going back for the walnut ply.

Blum Tandem undermounts (563 series, with locks) are on special for $23/pair.

I will never see the insides of the Borg again. They are at 145 Furniture Row in Milford. I am not connected to them in any way.

Paul, thanks for the tip. How does their HW Ply compare ($ and selection) to CT Ply (also in Milford)?

Thanks Paul... I'm curious also about the comparison with CT plywood

Bill, Daniel,

I have not been to CT Plywood. Thanks for sharing. My impression from their website was that they are strictly to the trade. They also don't seem to sell hardwood. Have either of you been there? I am going to call them on Monday. But I must say that I was truly pleased with D&R's interest in my project and their willingness to help me, despite their size. Tim also told me that they would like to build a retail clientele. I am not a pro and so I welcome help. I thought that $7.65/bf for my walnut compared favorably to $12/bf at Connecticut River Lumber. Also, the 3/4 plain sliced walnut at $110 was also priced better than CT River at $156. D&R has a rack full for me to choose from and CT River would have to order it.