Thread: Woodturning Tool Cabinet

Woodturning Tool Cabinet

The box for this cabinet was put together the night before, then cut apart, hung and filled on Superbowl Sunday. Finally in one location there are 4 hollowing systems, 3 coring systems, sanding, safety equipment, and other misc. tools that I can now take better care of and keep the chips and dust off of. And all in a 3' x 4' x 10" space. Not for my basic go to tools, they live in an open rack on the tailstock end. The doors are hung with piano hinges and close on magnetic catches. Turned door pulls are held off the doors with 1/2" copper tubing set into 5/8" holes and screws from the back.pulls2.jpg

The blocks holding sanding pads rest nicely in the top of the square 3520 headstock when in use. Vacuum and air are now plumbed into the column over the headstock. There's a little room left in this cabinet so maybe a new tool someday or I'm sure there is something left in my old shop that will fit! Hopefully some useful ideas for anyone setting up shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks pretty nice. Quite useful. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Well thought out and nicely executed Hayes. Looks as if the McNaughton is easier to reach for than the Oneway. Is that by design or is that's just how the overall layout worked best?

Impressive organization and use of space!

Very nice. Pretty spiffy decoration on handles for shop furniture. I like that!

That's awesome! You've inspired me to do the same.

7. Too bad there is not an applause emoticon available on this forum.......so I will just have to say it, Hayes......BRAVO!!!! This is really nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

A place for everything and everything....
    Like it.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Roger, you made my day. Definitely more interest here than what my wife displayed when she saw it.

David, thats just the way it came out. The Oneway system was hanging on the wall in my old shop so the previously made hangers just needed removed and installed in the new cabinet. They are kind of a pain to store compared to the McNaughton. The McNaughton handle is actually in there vertically in the left of the main section with a Kelton multi axis scraper in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Roger, you made my day. Definitely more interest here than what my wife displayed when she saw it. David, thats just the way it came out. The Oneway system was hanging on the wall in my old shop so the previously made hangers just needed removed and installed in the new cabinet. They are kind of a pain to store compared to the McNaughton. The McNaughton handle is actually in there vertically in the left of the main section with a Kelton multi axis scraper in it.
    I should have phrased the questions a little differently in that I was wondering when you have a coring job to do, which system do you reach for first. Or which system do you prefer to use? Never used the Oneway but I do have the McNaughton. Every now and then a used system comes up for sale and wanted to see you thought of any advantage to having both systems.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    I should have phrased the questions a little differently in that I was wondering when you have a coring job to do, which system do you reach for first. Or which system do you prefer to use? Never used the Oneway but I do have the McNaughton. Every now and then a used system comes up for sale and wanted to see you thought of any advantage to having both systems.
    This discussion comes up regularly. The Oneway system is built tough and I can mindlessly core large quantities of bowls with the intention of repetition in size and shape. For me, the McNaughton is amazingly versatile. Keeping in mind all coring tools cut in whatever arc the blade is, you have more range in which the arc can be utilized, and can also use it for platter or plate blanks. You probably aren't missing much not having the Oneway system but I like having both.

Very nice cabinet. Great idea. I am in the process of trying to organize my shop and you gave me another project. Question: Is the cabinet 10" deep plus extra depth in the doors?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rich, the box was 11-1/4" x 3' x 4' and I cut 3" off for the doors. Sides are 3/4" ply, front and back are 1/2" set in a rabbit. I knew it would get heavy so hung it with french cleats.