Thread: Electronic Tapes any Good?

Electronic Tapes any Good?

Someone gave me a Bosch electronic tape measure as a gift. Long ago the Craftsman went to the circular file. Any of you use these for estimating large sizes, etc? Are they getting better than they used to perform?

I don't know but when I want to be accurate I use two sticks!

But over 8 feet or so this gets cumbersome... I look forward to hearing some specific replies as I don't know what an electronic tape measure is at this point. Google will be my friend soon after posting this...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have an old Leica that works the same way. It claims to be accurate to 1/8 inch, up to 100 meters. I found mine at a flea market for $5. I needed the battery terminals cleaned and the battery compartment door repaired. I like to think it was $5 I took a chance with, even I don't need it very often.

John

I have a Bosch and find it to be accurate to within 1/16 almost all the time. Whether this matters depends on what you are measuring. For construction work that is good enough and actually better than a tape measure. One person can easily and quickly do what would normally take two. For furniture, or for really tight fitting moldings it is not good enough.