Thread: Hanging Galvanized DC Duct Tight to Ceiling--Ideas?

Hanging Galvanized DC Duct Tight to Ceiling--Ideas?

I need to hang most of my DC ductwork fairly tight to the ceiling, which rules out the usual hanger-strap solutions. I'm playing with ideas on how to hang it and thought I'd gather a little wisdom from the brain trust.

My current idea is wooden half-round saddles that screw to the ceiling joists--hanger strap that screws to the saddle ends completes the hanger. Anyone done this already?

I want this to be a neat (tidy) install, not extravagant but nice. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Hi Dan,

Can't you still just use the hanger strap, but fasten it tightly? In cases where your duct isn't near joists, you can just use drywall anchors. Or is there complication that I'm missing? That's the way my duct is attached- the duct is pressed up against the ceiling, and the hanger strap is fastened tightly over it to pin it against the ceiling.

Blog Entries
    6 or 7 years ago when I installed my DC ducting I used plumbers strapping screwed into the ceiling joist. Then placed the pipe against that and wrapped the strap around the pipe and screwed the ends back to the same joist. It has held the pipe snug against the ceiling for the last 6 years and will probably do so for may more years. Cheap, quick and effective. To my eye it looks "tidy" as well.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This is how I hung mine:

IMG_0229.jpg

Heavy duty zip ties and zip tie anchors from McMaster-Carr like these:

7566k13p1l.png

Not sure why hanger strap won't work, thats how I hung mine tight to the joists.

I used plumber strap and drywall self tapping anchors on my old system and it worked fine. I plan on the same for my new set up. One wrap around the duct if your worried about the side to side play.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Crocker View Post
    This is how I hung mine:

7566k13p1l.png
    That's pretty cool! Those zip tie anchors could be screwed directly to the ceiling into the joist. That would be plenty tidy.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I used plastic plumber strapping and 1 5/8" washer head screws. No problems - including no noise or vibrations - when used with 6 inch ducting on a 25 foot run. For the wall verticals, ran 3/4 prefinished pine across the drywall, screwing them into the studs, and attaching the strapping to them. Biggest challenge on the ceiling was having two people on ladders trying to hold the duct up and find the joists to run the screws through the drywall into.

I made hangers from 2x10 with a hole to run the pipe through, and split to allow the lower portion (cap) to be removed for easy installation. A side benefit is this will support the tube and keep it round. Sorry, no pictures, but if needed, let me know. I also used the same concept to support the tubes on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Crocker View Post

7566k13p1l.png

Nice idea, Clay. I've got to admit that my first reaction to the picture was something between a choke and a gasp--I've used thousands of those heavy zip ties and I know they're well within their ratings, but when I see a duct like that my brain says "conduit"--lots heavier than air ducts. When I did the PVC ducting I have now, I supported it with strut and big conduit clamps. Overkill to some, but reasonable to me.

This gives me a great idea for the saddles I've been considering--after all, those little anchors are basically little saddles.

Thanks!

D.

I shaved my head.

I casually called them "heavy duty zip ties", what I used are actually called "Flex Tie Straps". They are used in HVAC to connect flexible duct to the main duct. They are rated with a 175-pound tensile strength. I hung a strap every 4' on the horizontal runs and 2 straps (one at the top and one at the bottom) on the wall drops. I'm using 6" diameter, 26 gauge snap-lock duct and it is more than sturdy enough. You could probably mount the zip tie anchor directly to your ceiling; I choose to stand-off the ceiling 2-1/2" to make taping the joints easier.

12. I'm using the zip tie anchors and 24" ties. According to the literature, the tie is rated at 175lbs (I assume tension). I also invested in the tensioning/clipping tool rated for this size. I'm using sewer/drain pipe with me.

Dan I made my hangers exactly as you discribed . They work great . I used 3/4 plywood .

Quote Originally Posted by Fred LeBail View Post
    Dan I made my hangers exactly as you discribed . They work great . I used 3/4 plywood .
    Got pictures?

D.

I shaved my head.

I have a couple so I will see if I can post them.HPIM2723.jpgHPIM2722.jpgHPIM2721.jpg
    Hope this helps.