Thread: Found a use for plastic items

Cool Found a use for plastic items

Well, a WorkaMate is sitting around, holding up a 70 pound tool box. It did have four clamp like plastic objects that were just sitting there, doing nothing. Was needing a plane stop for the bench, too...

So, drag out a brace and a 3/4" bit
    brace & bit.jpg
    Might do the trick? Stand it upright on the bench every 6" or so
    bench and drill.jpg
    About chin level for the knob. Drill a hole, and test fit as I go along
    hole tests.jpg
    There are a couple of the new stops sitting there. Drilled five holes. Wondering whether I'll need a second row. Grabbed a test track and a small plane
    test track.jpg
    Came time to put away the drill.......hmmm, why not set up a few others, according to size, for the next time?
    arsenal of drills.jpg

One in front is a 12" sweep, with a #20 bit. Couple of 10"s and a few 8"s. White knob to drive any screws, just change the tip. Tried out a larger test track and plane
    test track 2.jpg
    White Oak 2x4, vs a ParPlus #5. Guess I need to plan on an end vise, next.....as the B&D WorkaMate clamp/stops seem to do ok as plane stops.

In the vein of WorkMate cannibalization...

I like having a WorkMate. It was my first bench. I use the dogs on my real bench all the time. Like you, Stephen, I find the low profile dogs very practical.

When I was trying to figure out how to build the assembly for my Moxon Vise, I saw my WorkMate and got an idea. $29 paid for a cheapo new WorkMate. I used the threaded rod, handles and nuts right out of the box. The garter needed to be hacksawn from the stand, but it was a piece of cake. Lots of waste, but a very serviceable Moxon Vice resulted.

I've been using Workmate dogs for over 20 years on my bench. Love 'em.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

A worthwhile addition to the bench!

Mr. Newman, you are the master at the reuse. Some of my favorites.
    Bill Mc Dermott how about a few pictures and a desciption of how you did this vise,I like the idea.
    Don

Don, Here are the photos you requested of my lickety-split Moxon Vise from a cannibalized WorkMate. Laminated 3/4" plywood. Cork on the moving face. The cranks and the nuts are nylon (or some durable plastic). The acme threaded rod is steel. I epoxied the nut into a notch chiseled into the back. Super solid.
    Moxon Vise 001.jpgMoxon Vise 002.jpgMoxon Vise 003.jpgMoxon Vise 004.jpgMoxon Vise 005.jpg

Thank's this will be great.
    Don