Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on a Mortiser

I've had the PM 719A for years. It has performed very well. Don't really miss the tilt option but maybe I tend to design around the need for skewed mortises. I can always hand hack "special" mortises. Also have a Domino 500 which complements the PM quite nicely IMHO.

Blog Entries
    I have it and like it. Most times I cut mortises by hand. But when I have a lot of mortises, it comes out. I have the riser but haven't had to install it yet. I keep toying with installing an X/Y vise but just haven't found the compelling need.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I have it and like it. Most times I cut mortises by hand. But when I have a lot of mortises, it comes out. I have the riser but haven't had to install it yet. I keep toying with installing an X/Y vise but just haven't found the compelling need.
    Shawn, thank you for the post. It sounds to me like we would be using them in much the same situations.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I bought a HarborFreight mortiser to mount 1/2" square steel balusters in my hard maple stair case railing because that is what I could afford (I think I paid about $150 with a coupon). I had to make my own tilt mount base for the mortiser to drill the appropriately angled square holes. It did an excellent job on that project and the few times I have used is since.

If you are planning on using a mortiser a lot I would purchase the best you can get. My understanding the feature that really helps a lot for a mortiser that will be used frequently is a good clamp on an X-Y table that allows you precisely position the work.

If you think you will only occasionally use a mortiser I can vouch that the cheap HarborFreight mortiser has done an excellent job (with sharpened chisels) for the few projects I have used mine on. I have a Davis Wells horizontal boring machine that I use for prepping my joint of choice - DOWELS.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 02-04-2015 at 4:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Before you buy a hollow chisel machine, look at the Grizzly G0540. I bought one, and although I have not built anything with it yet, I have experimented a bit. Pretty accurate mortises, and pretty easy using milling cutters.
    A horizontal slot mortiser is so fast, simple and accurate. Loose tenons are the best. I can make panel with loose tenons before you finish the mortises with a chisel mortiser. Two flute HSS endmills are inexpensive, cheap to sharpen and cut hundreds of mortises. The Grizzly G0540 is a good option. If you don't mind the screaming router there's many diy plans out there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQcClMWeh4

I too have the cheapie Harbor Freight mortised installed a cross slide vice and it works just fine.

Blog Entries

Woodsmith mortiser

The current issue of Woodsmith has a DIY mortiser as their lead article.
    Dennis

I have the Jet morticer, but like Shawn I frequently cut them by hand. I prefer both hand work and a morticer to a router, as I really dislike the noise and dust of the router.

Fine woodworking mag just did a review on bench top mortisers
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution