Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop noise: noise-canceling headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    High magnetic field MRIs (3T & above) produce an incredible amount of noise. One solution to minimize the noise be heard outside the scan room is not only insulating the walls, and ceilings but also using 2 layers of 5/8" sheet rock with staggered joints. It makes an incredible difference.
    I've heard of folks puting a bead of silicone between the sheets of drywall, letting it cure before adding the 2nd sheet. Not sure exactly what it does.

Also look in to "mass loaded vinyl". Also google " green glue"
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I use the Bose noise canceling earbuds, they are by far more effective than the headsets and more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The earbuds seal better then headsets, won't cause you to sweat and don't add any weight to your head. They will completely block out sound from a TV and any conversation but you can flip a switch to turn off the noise canceling feature at any time.

Obviously they work with your computer or portable MP3 players and your mobile phone but they are often used without music just to block out background noise. I never miss a phone call anymore when working in my shop.

Mine are used in the shop when I'm running my CNC Router, when I'm cutting grass on a 25 HP mower and they do an amazing job when I'm bush hogging on a diesel tractor. The Bose noise canceling earbuds are the best of the best IMO.

I use Bose QC-15 noise cancelling headphones.

With a cochlear implant on one ear which requires me to wear a hearing-aid like sound processor on it and a very large hearing aid on the other ear, ear buds aren't an option. The noise cancelling headphones work well!

How well? 3 years ago this coming March, right after I purchased them, my oldest son and I flew to Knoxville, TN. There a tour bus picked us up each morning at our Knoxville hotel and took us to Bristol, TN on Saturday and Sunday for the NASCAR races. We arrived into Knoxville very late Friday night and only a got 4 hours sleep before having to get up, eat breakfast and get picked up. Wearing those headphones at Thunder Valley on Saturday, I slept through 40 minutes of the race.

I will proudly admit I managed to see the entire race on Sunday!

Being deaf and using either a CI or a HA, background noise is a problem. The nice thing about using the noise cancelling function of either headphones or ear buds particularly while flying, you get rid of the jet engine noise but can still hear the announcements. It's amazing how the 3 bones in the middle ear of a normally functioning human ear minimize those background noises so you can hear speech or music in a normally noisey environment like a restaurants, bars, or markets etc.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-02-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I gave my wife bose over the ear nc headphones (QC-15, iirc) and she uses them a lot. She says they are very comfortable and I know they do a fantastic job of NC. She uses them a lot. I have an older bose model and prefer them when using headphones to anything else. While I think bose speakers are overpriced and average, their headphone products are by far the best in the market.

I'd suggest getting something like that for her AND doing some sound proofing in the shop. Between the two, you'll probably be OK. I would not recommend just ear protection as that will likely not see a lot of use.

I know I have written a few lengthy replies on this subject in the past year or so; I believe they were in the workshop thread. There are many options to help your cause but you first need to know how to sound is getting to her then you can treat your space.

Search in the workshop area for a post by me. I am not the most prolific poster here so it should not be difficult to find.