Thread: Wood Turners Finish?

Blog Entries

Wood Turners Finish?

Has anyone used WTF over Danish oil? Anything special you did prior to application? Any issues?

WTF is water based - you may have some compatibility problems using it over oil

Once the solvent (water) has evaporated, WTF is no different from other poly finishes. Should be able to overcoat it with any oil finish.

the real question for me is... Why? If you wanted a sealer coat, you may want to sand the WTF down to surface wood, then add the final finish. WTF is designed to be the final finish.

May I ask what your goal is? Perhaps we can recommend a better choice.
    Last edited by Jeff Gilfor; 02-01-2015 at 1:27 PM. Reason: Mistatke

read the OP question again - it sounds like he wants to oil - then use WTF as final finish.

Danish oil is a varnish blend containing some oil. I have used WTF, though I no longer do. As with any poly, adhesion is a weak point, and unless the WTF is fairly fresh, sometimes it doesn't even like itself much. Were it me, I would lightly sand the Danish oil, apply a coat of dewaxed shellac, and follow that with the WTF. Unless you have worked with WTF before, I would suggest a test run on a sample board. It can be a little perplexing to use depending on ambient conditions, etc. In MI, I doubt it would be a problem this time of year, but in hot, dry weather, the stuff can dry in a matter of minutes and sometimes lap marks can be an issue. In those circumstances, one has to be prepared to move quickly.

Blog Entries
    Well the last time I replied, it wound up on a blog post... Stupid iPad... Anyhow I was looking to try to use it as a topcoat that I had on hand. Looks like I will stop and get some rattle cans or some brushing lacquer. I didn't have great success with the WTF in the past as it tends to sag easily.. So far I haven't been impressed.

Danish oil is a top coat too. Just try more coats. Also consider buffing after letting it cure for a while.