Thread: Article: Review: Jerry Marcantel’s Chuck Plate

Article: Review: Jerry Marcantel’s Chuck Plate

Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, I hope I misunderstood you when you said you removed the tailstock, checked how it was holding. Then you said you turned the lathe back on, and finished the tenon.... Oooh Boy, you are never supposed to use that CP without the tailstock...... I hope I misunderstood....
    What I do is mark my center on the tenon side, and if the face is reasonably flat, I bring the tailstock to the center, screw it to the marks and and apply pressure until it's secure on the Chuck Plate screws,(depth is not crucial, as long as you have at least 4-5 screws making contact)) tap the wood a couple or more times, and tighten the tailstock some more.. Proceed to turn your project you just mounted on your lathe. Never turn it on unless the tailstock is securing the piece..
    I'm glad you finally used it, and thanks for the glowing report. I just made 2 dozen, and they are the same as the one you have, but the screws are all #8's, and the quality is much better.... When I made yours, I was under pressure by bad weather, didn't the right screws, and used some old Baltic, which split out around the screw holes and around the edge.. I work outdoors, and have limited weather protection..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry - I know that you should always use the tailstock for support - but - in this case I did pull it out of the way to clean up the small nub on the center of the tenon. I had checked the wood before cleaning the tenon to make sure it was securely on the CP and I figured that seeing as how I was applying pressure with the gouge towards the chuck - it would be OK for that limited amount of time. It is highly likely that I just lucked out this first time around and will make a point of using the tailstock from this point on!

Interesting concept and a very well done review, I think I may have to add one of these to my shop. Thanks guys!!

Jerry,

That's an interesting and useful jig. Thank you for the idea.

Steve,

In addition to Jerry's Chuck Plate, turning between centers, and a jam chuck, you can also use a glue block. The advantage of Jerry's design over a glue block would appear to be quickness. Both a glue block and a Chuck Plate allow you to mount a blank on the lathe without wasting much, if any, of the blank.

6. Great info here! I am waiting to receive Jerry's latest edition of this chuck plate in the mail.......this one made of metal!!!

I appreciate the review and the "how to" aspects you shared Steve!

Steve, where do i find your original article hiw to build a vacuum chuck? Please email me a link to it. john@cookislandsnews.com