Thread: Looking at purchasing new dust collector

Looking at purchasing new dust collector

Hey everyone, I am in need of a bigger better dust collector. I currently have a Jet DC-1100VX-BK Dust Collector, 1.5HP. It is a great system but I need more. I'm thinking of getting one for the entire shop. Any suggestions?

There is a lot of discussion on dust systems in the Workshops section. I have a cyclone system, and if you do much woodworking, would recommend you get at least a 3hp system.

I went from a Jet 1100 to a JET 1882 3hp double bagger to a Grizzly G0441 3hp cyclone.

I just can't bring myself to setting up all those tool drops for DC. Have grown too used to moving stuff around the woodworking shop I guess. So something like a 1.5HP DC on wheels with a canister filter and a preseperator between the tools and the DC has worked for me. I can't work at more than one station at a time anyway. While the preseperator takes up space I just feel so much safer with it than without it and it is so much easier to just dump the stuff in the can than deal with the bag on the DC. Not sure I will ever get to the point of going with a larger system with drops but I have to admit to being impressed with how neatly many of you have managed to design your multidrop systems.

James, you need to be happy with your shop layout before installing a fixed pipe dust system. Otherwise you have to change it around.

Blog Entries
    I put a full DC system when I retired and every time I look at it I consider it one of my best projects ever. Quite proud of it. I only went cheap with the 2 hp SDG cyclone instead of the 3 hp version. If you plan on staying put for a long while, it will be your best shop investment ever. If you are going to do it, do it right.
    NOW you tell me...