Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tax return new purchase -- table saw delimma

Two years ago I was going through the same decision making process that you are now Jonathan. I was trying to understand the differences between the Grizzly 691 and 1023 while at the same time comparing them to the high end saws. At some point I realized that I was actually considering spending $3K on a table saw! With that realization the choice became very clear. I bought the G0623X. The incremental improvement per dollar in capability for the slider was enormously greater than that for the high end saws, although this depends somewhat upon your valuation of the sawstop safety feature.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

The jump from a hybrid to a 3hp industrial cabinet saw is pretty substantial...not only is there > 70% increase in horsepower, but there's also loads more mass, bigger handwheels, very robust underpinnings, freedom to dictate whatever feed rate you're most comfortable with, and the reassurance that your saw will effortlessly handle whatever you throw at it for several decades without strain. I think the G1023RL offers a great bang for the buck at $1400. It's hard to find more saw for the money in a new saw at this level IMO. The Jet is a nice saw, but much of the price increase is for dealer markup and longer warranty...it's not a substantial step up IMO, and could be argued that they're fairly comparable. The PM2000 offers a step up, but but how much is hard to say....its subjective. I personally would never consider spending that much money for a saw without the safety feature when the Saw Stop is so close in price and adds the safety brake...huge advantage goes to the SS PCS 3hp at this price level IMO.

If you're interested in the safety brake of a Saw Stop, the least expensive option in a full size saw is the contractor model at ~ $1700, but it comes with steel wings and a pretty modest fence for this price range of saw. The price of a decently equipped Saw Stop is realistically closer to $2000, but the saw isn't on par with a 3hp industrial cabinet saw....it's well built and will make the cuts, but still has many of the drawbacks of a contractor saw. A stripped PCS 1.75hp is around $2300, which seems like the better buy to me than the contractor saw for $2k. The Premium fence on the PCS isn't at the same level as the T-Glide (or the Shop Fox Classic on the Grizzly), but it's decent. I actually think the term "Premium fence" is a bit of a misnomer...it's not really a premium fence IMO, so you may still want the upgrade to the T-Glide fence, which is a premium fence. Still not a 3hp cabinet saw, but is a step in the right direction. Those prices are without a mobile base, blade, or other accessories that you might want/need, so the total can get pretty steep in a hurry. The PCS 3hp with the better fence is near $2900 to get started.

Ultimately, you'll need to decide what means most to. Do you want the most saw for the money, a decent saw with the safety technology, or do you want to save longer and get the best of both worlds for closer to $3k?
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-31-2015 at 6:14 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    Theres also Delta table saws..Usually a bit cheaper than powermatic ...

The new Unisaws are very nice, actually, and might very well be my preference after the SawStop if not for the fact that Delta has become more or less useless when it comes to replacement parts. If something breaks, you might well be stuck with a boat anchor. I think Unisaw parts have been a little more commonly available than everything else they make, but their continued inability to support brand new tools right out of the box is just a complete non-starter with me.

Blog Entries
    What kind of problems?

Hmm..is the shop fox fence on the grizzly 690/1023 the same or close to the Jet Xacta..looks similar..

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan sneed View Post
    Hmm..is the shop fox fence on the grizzly 690/1023 the same or close to the Jet Xacta..looks similar..
    They're all clones of the Biesemeyer commercial fence, and are fairly similar. SF Classic isn't exactly the same as what's on the G0690. The Xacta II is basically an HTC fence, same as the PM Accufence. The SF Classic and HTC fences will all fit on the commercial Biesemeyer rails...don't think the G0690 generic fence will.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Well, it comes down to $$$ and what you want. We've all been down that road. I've said it many times, don't settle, or you will just regret it. I had the 1023slx for 10 years and it was a good saw.

I'd say go 3hp minimum (i've had smaller and upgraded ), it just has the power to do what you need and not baby it to "make it work".

If money is a real issue, use searchtempest and get an old american piece of iron.

However, if you can swing it, go SawStop. You won't regret it and they are great saws. I know they are expensive, but man, now that I've had mine for a year, I don't regret that extra $$ at all. Look at it this way, take that cost and devide it over what your ww career will be. The annual cost is minimal for what you get.

I saved for over two years (really putting dollars here and there away), and use the proceeds from selling the 1023 ($800), to get my 5hpICS. Never thought I'd spend that much on a tool, but it's worth it.

In the end, you have to do what works for you. Good luck and post picks of what ever toy you do go with as we all looking at new toys. Have a good one!

Also..to those with a 30" rip like the 690, do u wish u had the longer rail 691 for 50" rip? I'd be doing some plywood from time to time , not sure if the longer rail extension is something handy or just takes up more space you don't necessarily need per say....I could see where an outfeed table though would be hugely helpful

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan sneed View Post
    Also..to those with a 30" rip like the 690, do u wish u had the longer rail 691 for 50" rip? I'd be doing some plywood from time to time , not sure if the longer rail extension is something handy or just takes up more space you don't necessarily need per say....I could see where an outfeed table though would be hugely helpful
    If you're "on the fence" about 30" or 50" rip, you can slide the 30" front rail over to the right to get it to ~ 40" rip capacity. It's pretty easy, and if you move the rail exactly the distance of one bolt hole, there's no drilling.

Getting a sliding table attachment is not the same as getting a sliding tablesaw. The slider had the slide very close to the blade, while it is several inches away with an attachment. I use my sliding table to straight edge boards, it is very accurate. And I can square a panel with almost perfect accuracy, less than 1/32"measured diagonally.

Agreed. I tried just about every sliding table attachement (Mast R Slide, Excalibur, Laguna) for my old Unisaw and they all drove me insane trying to get consistently square cuts particularly with sheet goods. Finally sold everything and picked up an SC2 Classic.

There's just no going back to a cabinet saw once you've gotten used to a slider.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 02-01-2015 at 1:32 PM.

I'd open the options and look for a short stroke slider. Friend of mine just picked up a 1500mm saw shaper for less than 3K and it was a top end build. Dave

Just for kicks went to look at the marketing material for the SC2 Classic. What a beautiful piece of woodworking equipment.

Hmm I was leaning toward the Jet Xacta but just downloaded the manual and read where it's 330lbs...misprint maybe? Aren't most 3hp cabinet saws in the 400-500lb range? Is that something that should matter even? Did they shave off weight or cheap out on something I'm not aware of...it sure looks heavier than 330...l was always under the impression heavier is better for a cabinet saw..seems like 330lbs is slightly heavier than some contractor saws but lighter than some hybrids
    .I think the grizzly hybrid is 380lbs. Just seems a bit light to me..it may not matter I don't know
    Last edited by jonathan sneed; 02-02-2015 at 7:12 AM.