Thread: Lathe repair

Lathe repair

I have a smaller three-foot wood lathe. My problem is that the spindle keeps sliding out of the bearings towards the tailstock. I'm assuming I need new bearings but was wondering if anyone could tell me if I'm correct and where I might be able to purchase some new bearings. Thank you

2. Quote Originally Posted by Clay McElwee View Post
    I have a smaller three-foot wood lathe. My problem is that the spindle keeps sliding out of the bearings towards the tailstock. I'm assuming I need new bearings but was wondering if anyone could tell me if I'm correct and where I might be able to purchase some new bearings. Thank you
    You did not say what brand/model lathe you have..........you need to be specific. One thing you can try......the bearings usually have a number stamped on the outside of them..........look online at Bearings Direct.com........they sell bearings in most any size you want, and are high quality and reasonable price.

They also have charts that have the dimensions of the bearings in their list, [if I recall correctly] and you should be able to take a pair of calipers and get the measurements and match them up that way, as well, but the numbers are the most accurate way, I think.

Shipping will likely be as much as the bearings, but to fix your lathe, it will be worth it...........good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You may well need new bearings, but I think there should be some kind of stop nut that prevents the spindle from pulling out. perhaps some set screws are loose or missing. On my Jet there is a stop collar between the handwheel and headstock, for example.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Beaver-Delta-Rockwell lathe.jpglathe spindle .jpg

Like Thom here says, normally the bearings do not keep the spindle in place, sometimes there is a housing or flange screwed onto the front and/or back of the lathes headstock that keeps the bearings in, but much more often with the smaller and older lathes and also newer ones, there is a nut on the backside, even a handwheel is sometimes used to keep the pieces in place.

As you can see below, the first has a flange to keep the bearings in, in the second picture you see #3 is the spindle and 6 and 5 the bearings, #8 is the lefthand threaded ring that keeps the spindle and bearings in the headstock, and # 9 are two set screws that keep the ring/nut from loosening off.
    Some lathes have a handwheel instead of that ring/nut, doing exactly the same thing, now there are a few other ways this is done, and if you can make a picture or give name and model ## of the lathe, we can try to give you a better answer
    Attachment 305368 Beaver-Delta-Rockwell lathe.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-28-2015 at 9:59 PM.
    Have fun and take care

I'm not 100% sure what brand the lathe is. My guess is Central Machinery. I now understand why is was only $75 haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay McElwee View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what brand the lathe is. My guess is Central Machinery. I now understand why is was only $75 haha.
    OH OH , Looks like what hey say is still true, YOU MIGHT get what you pay for, Chinese Quality
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-30-2015 at 5:03 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Clay McElwee View Post
    Clay, does your lathe look like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed...the-65345.html If so, click on the User Manual download tab and have a look at the parts list and exploded view. The hand wheel (they call it a balance wheel) affixes to the outboard end of the spindle with a set screw. Yours may be loose or missing altogether. That would be a quick fix, for sure, as the screw would be metric and very possibly available at Loews or Home Depot. Good luck with this.

More likely this one, if so, he will have to remove that spindle cover, the spindle retainer nut is covered and probably sits inside there loose, should be easily to fix, and might last for a bit

Lathe model.jpg lathe parts.jpg parts list ##.jpg

Or this one, it has just a C-clip in front of the pulley to keep the spindle from moving, then the pulley and sander disk after that.

wood lathe.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-31-2015 at 12:33 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long to respond. I got caught up on another project that I had to finish and have only just gotten back to my lathe problem. After taking everything apart I realized the bearing closest to the tailstock was loose where it sat on the spindle. The bearing itself was fine it but it looks as though it's somehow wore down the OD on the spindle where it sat (it sat on a step that had a slightly larger OD than the rest of the spindle). So I grabbed my trusty center punch and put a few divots in the step and the bearing is now nice and snug on the spindle. Don't worry, I did it in a way to make sure I did not bend the spindle. The only problem I have now is an unsettling vibration in the late when I start it up. I have to figure that the spindle is no longer centered. Any tips on how to correct this? I know I have a dial indicator somewhere but can't seem to find it at the moment.
    btw, my lathe looks most similar to the last photo Leo posted, minus the disc sander
    image.jpg

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    You'll need a checkbook.