Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Considering purchase of a new RO sander

Blog Entries
    That's not for just the sander. You could use any vacuum for dust collection. We do this on the Festool Domino....

So, not sure if anyone saw it, but I asked a few spots back what model Ceros you all are running? It seems they have many, many models.

So, there was a Mirka rep there at Woodwerks this weekend. When I asked the question about the European models having the interchangeable 5"/6" pads, but not the US models, he corrected me a bit in saying that the 220V models had the interchangeable pads but not the 110V model. He also said that just changing the pad was not that straightforward, that there was counter-weighting that needed changed as well. I mentioned that it still seemed a bit odd that the 220 V model could interchange pads but not the 110V, and I think he got tired of me asking about it, saying somebody somewhere made the decision... Oh well..

It was nice to have the Ceros and Deros there side by side to compare. Quite honestly, I thought they were very close. The Deros is a little bigger and heavier, but not overwhelmingly so, and also $90 more expensive. The rep was really trying to make the point that the Deros is better for 2-handed sanding, and with it's bigger handle and head, yes I guess that might be true. The Deros also has a quick connect capability and an integrated power cord/vac hose that would probably be very handy in larger pro shops. However, for my purposes (home hobbyist) I went with the Ceros 5". It was also 10% off with Expo pricing. The hose (add on for ~$50 with Expo 15% discount) has a fitting for the Mirka vac that perfectly fits in the inlet port on my Ridgid vac. No jury rigged solutions to get the dust collection adapted. Nice!! Gave it a quick test run on a smaller scrap of Ash. Sweet! Just for grins, I ran through all the grits in the Abranet samples pack up to 400. In just 5 minutes, that piece of wood is so polished I can read reflected lettering. And not one spec of dust.

Last thought - the rep made a comment at one point that he thought the Ceros would be around for a little while yet, so that to me is a pretty clear hint that Mirka plans for the Deros to be the go-forward model.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    So, not sure if anyone saw it, but I asked a few spots back what model Ceros you all are running? It seems they have many, many models.
    I have the 6" Ceros with 5mm orbit(or maybe it's the 150mm with 3/16" orbit? ) Anyway, when I bought mine shortly after they were introduced in the States the choice was 5" or 6" pad. I thought at one time they were selling the 5" with a 3mm orbit but just checked their website: it looks like both the 5" and 6" are available in 5mm, you can get a 6"/8mm for rough stock removal and a 3"/2.5mm for touchup work. No 3mm anywhere.

Anyway, great sanders! I've had mine for almost 4 years with no problems or complaints, only sander I've used that could be called comparable was the old DA Sioux, maybe the DynaBrade which I haven't used. But they need a monster compressor and hearing protection is a must with the air sanders.

Best,
    Bill