Thread: mobile base for unisaw, source for tires, what size metal

mobile base for unisaw, source for tires, what size metal

I want to make a mobile base similar to this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

I was looking and couldn't find a good source for tires, I want a larger rubber/polyurethane etc tire, I am think 6-8 inch, my floor in my woodshop is old and has some decent crack/shifting.

where is a good source for leveling feet, the feet and legs need to be decent quality but price is very important.

I have a unisaw with a granite extension table, so the table adds something like 100-150 pounds, I would also like to make either a cupboard or shelves for storage under the table so that will add weight also. what size metal should I use? I think tube steel maybe 1by2 or 1by2.5? what dimension and thickness could hold that weight and not flex?

also could I put the wheel in the center of the saw to make it a little easier to lift the legs up to move? this seems like it would also put more weight on the wheels to help the saw not move.

on a frame like this (about 7ft long) would I need to have a leg in the middle? I would prefer just the wheels on the left (saw side) and a spot on the right to lever it up off the wheels to move it to help it not bottom out on my floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this wheel is an option, 300lbs would probably be ok but would like a little more, since the weight will be sitting on them long term

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...ire-42427.html

Hi, you want steel or solid nylon tires so there isn't any flex in them which can change the position of the saw table as you load material on it.

When I made a long base for a cabinet saw I used 2" X 2" x 1/4" steel angle.

The levelling feet were only a couple of dollars, all hardware suppliers sell them in various lengths/thread combinations. If I remember correctly I used 3/8-16 threaded legs.

regards, Rod.

P.S. here's a suggestion for a wheel.

http://shop.servicecaster.com/6-x-2-...scc-ssr620.htm
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-28-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added Post Script

will the metal tires have the same resistance to moving the wrong way as nylon? example if you push the front of the saw will the metal move, or will it be a non issue with the weight on it?

Hi Cody, the metal wheels don't move, nor do the nylon wheels as they're located at right angles to the push of the workpiece, as well as the resistance of the levelling feet to moving.

Regards, Rod.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00426CITE/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
    Would those work? I think I would prefer the ones with material over the steel incase I ever have a nice floor in my shop, do you have any idea how hard they would be?

Any more recommendations on metal size?

I used 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3/16" angle iron--- from the scrap pile at a local surplus shop here---. Lots cheaper than off the rack from commercial metal suppliers. Check Goodwill for a bed frame!!( and the little bird says "CHEAP CHEAP Cheap"). If you will be moving your saw a lot I would use swivel casters all around and engineer a simple means of engaging locking feet/levelers. I have a 52" fence and large outfeed table, the base has fixed casters on the saw side and swivels on the fence end side and it is a chore to jockey the saw around. Could be all the excess goodies that tend to accumulate under the tables!!

I made mine with 2x2 steel and corner plates with c channel

i also bought the car dolly set from hf and just used the wheels.
    Was the best steel wheels I could get for the money.