Thread: Drill press table hold downs....

Drill press table hold downs....

When I made my drill press table I had no idea where to put the T-Tracks, I looked on-line at a bunch of different ones both home built and commercial and just spaced them out kind of like I saw.

Well this has worked for some stuff but I have found that my hold downs are always just to short or I can get them to the right place to hold down the work piece. I like to hold the work piece down when drilling so it will not get pulled up by the bit or when I am drilling with a large forstner bit bit.

I looked around the shop and found a left over Bench Dog Dual Track T-Track I had from another project. I didn't even have to cut it, it was just about the length I needed. I cut some Oak I had to just fit in the larger slot, this gives something for the hold down to press against. Then drilled holes to match my T-Track that was installed on the drill press table. I used T-Knobs so I can turn them and remove the hold downs when needed.

I can now hold down anything I need to, any place on the table. I can use the Rockler hold downs or the Incra one as well. The dual track can be moved around to any place I need it and the hold down will reach the work piece.

P1273414.jpg P1273416.jpg P1273415.jpg P1273417.jpg P1273418.jpg

That's a very smart piece of work. The track with hold downs would be easy to adapt for a lot of flexible jigs, like a TS tapering jig or adjustable miter sled (a couple of things on my to-do list). So thanks for the hint!

Blog Entries
    What an ingenuous idea. A movable t-track held in place by a permanent t-track. Who'd a thunk it.

Great idea, Bill.

Brilliant. Makes me think about maybe using it in place of a DP fence much of the time. Still enough space to position a stop block or two.

I'd expect that we'll see pictures/drawings in a magazine in a few months. Again!!

earl

This is one more example of why I always read Bill's posts.

Thank you. I hope you don't mind if I borrow this idea. I have the same track lying around collecting dust, and have often wondered how to clamp an object to the table when the tracks are so far apart.
    You must be a part time psychic to know I needed this.

Bill
    Sweet. I'm copying this idea!!!!

Thank you.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

My DP table looks very similar - larger, so there are 4 tracks, and I have the track in the fence slot as well. Also have the sacrificial ply disc under the quill.

But the cross-arm - clever. Me Likey!!

I can almost always reach the part from my closest-to-center slots, but not always. Perfect solution, Bill.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

To add to the jig I did use the pin in the T-bolts, make it much easier to put on and off.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=T+track+pin