Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dremel tool, how much use?

Like most, I don't use it too often either but when I need it, I'm glad I have it. I mostly use the grinding wheel for cutting off bolts in hard to reach places. I also have the chainsaw sharpening attachment and occasionally use it as a mini-router for some of the wife's craft projects.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I use the heck out of my Dremel with a flex shaft. I use it with carbide burrs and small sanding drums to shape wood pieces for the scroll saw Intarsia that I do. My current one has been going for over two years of hard use and still going. When it dies will replace it with a Foredom.

I've got one: it was the very first power tool I bought after I got married. My bride wanted to know what I needed it for, and I replied "just you wait...". When we got to our destination I used it to cut short the portion of the zipper of her dress that was annoying the 7734 out of her all the way - some 50 miles or so. End of complaint.

What do I use it for? Cut open a padlock for which the key is lost. Make a copy of a key which the lock-smith won't copy because it is stamped (in error) "Do Not Copy - Master Key". (I bought a key with the same form and not as ground down to use a a blank.) Cut off screws that are too long - more times than I can count. Cut new slots in screw heads that some idiot has ruined by using a hammer on them. Cut nuts off when they were rusted to the point of disintegrating when you put first a wrench and then a pair of pliers on them. Cut nuts off when they had been rounded to uselessness by some idiot with a pair of pliers. Cutting chain to size when the quantity purchased was too long - the idea being better safe than sorry - better too much than too little. Drilling really small holes in things, in order to be able to wire them together with a strand of wire from a length of lamp cord. Polishing my wife's high school class ring, after it had been soaking in something unknown for about a month and had a lot of crud on it. Wire brushing the details on an "objet d'arte" a friend's wife purchased "for a song" (used a brass bristle brush at ???000 rpm). (I've got the old old old black one - single speed and heavy duty power cord that you could hang yourself with... - as I said I bought it a LONGGGGG time ago.)

I got the router base a few years later: made little things for our daughters doll house: made missing or broken parts for the play house first.

I know I've used it countless times over the years, yet it sits in it's case gathering dust for months on end. But when I need it, there is no other tool that will do what it does.

Yes, the cutoff wheels tend to break, but I find it is because you are applying axial pressure on the tool, and the disk snaps because it is fragile in that direction. If you are careful, and steady your hand while using it, the disk will wear out before it snaps.

It has been the best tool investment I ever made, considering the price.
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

Thank you

Learned a lot here – sounds like many of you have many uses for the tool and each of you uses it in different ways-it's not used often but when it is, it is very valuable ...thanks very much for your valuable advice ..I'm now on my lookout for a Dremel ...thanks much..
    Jerry

Mine gets used a few times a year. When you need one, you need one. I bought mine when I was 16 and I'm 59 now. I'd say it's held up pretty well.