Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Fox mobile base/wheels disentagrating

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I'm surprised this thread is still active.
    I solved the problem by going to the local Harbor Freight, purchasing some casters with the same diameter wheels, and swapping them out for the original Shop Fox wheels. Worked great, but I may eventually switch to steel wheels since the shop floor is concrete, and not glass smooth.
    I'm surprised ShopFox still sells these casters. They must know, after all these years, that they are defective. My first set lasted 10 years. I had no problem with that so I ordered replacements, which lasted 6 months. I just ordered steel wheels which should be better.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Yea this is exactly why I went with the Super Heavy Duty mobile base (LINK), as it comes with the metal wheels.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Ben the metal wheels marked up my garage floor, this new one looks awesome 1200lb capacity, rubber over steel wheels with sealed bearings. Go price this type of caster wheel they are not cheap. Yet you get this entire base with the wheels for $56. http://www.grizzly.com/products/-Bea...le-Base/T28000

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Ben the metal wheels marked up my garage floor, this new one looks awesome 1200lb capacity, rubber over steel wheels with sealed bearings. Go price this type of caster wheel they are not cheap. Yet you get this entire base with the wheels for $56. http://www.grizzly.com/products/-Bea...le-Base/T28000
    Yea, they marked mine a bit, but not bad. And yea I probably would have gone with that new Grizzly if I were buying now! Thats too cheap!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I know this is an old thread but would like to add something. Castor City recommends wheels made of polyolefin if the castor will have constant weight on it.

Any guys with the blue casters - how are they holding up? Still together?

Mike,

I've bought replacement swivel wheels for that base from Amazon. If I remember right they even say that they're replacements for the base. My wheels weren't disintegrating, I wanted 4 swivel wheels on the base.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Reeder View Post
    My SF casters just crapped out. I called Caster City (recommended on another thread) and spoke with George who spent some time with me to make sure that I got the proper fix. I ended up keeping the casters and replacing the axles and wheels. He recommended polyurethane wheels and said that the ones with aluminum centers were best because of the way the treads locked into the centers. This was important because of the possible sideways strain on the fixed wheels when the base was turned. The aluminum center wheels also have ball bearings.

The casters just needed to spread slightly for the wider wheels (you might need to remove the fixed casters to remove the SF wheels) no drilling required. The caster sides do need to be tight to the wheels (if you get the aluminum center ones).

Let me say my table saw glides around now and locks in place when needed. The aluminum center wheels were more expensive, but I am VERY happy with the results. BTW - the axles have grease fittings so you can lubricate them if needed.

This is what I ordered Ordered: PA3x1-1/4B 3" Blue Polyurethane on Aluminum Wheel and LA3/8x2-3/8 Lube (Zerk) Axle 3/8" x 2-3/8" with Lock Nut.

Hope this is of use to others with SF/Grizzly bases.
    Thank you for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Siddall View Post
    Thank you for the info!
    Watch the dates on the posts. You just thanked a guy for his response from 5 1/2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Watch the dates on the posts. You just thanked a guy for his response from 5 1/2 years ago.
    Even stranger is this was only his 2nd post since 2008. Once every 7 years.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Reeder View Post
    My SF casters just crapped out. I called CasterCity.com (recommended on another thread) and spoke with George...

Thanks for the info. I called Caster City and spoke with Tory. He was very helpful and new my problem the minute I said Shop Fox. He pointed me to the product with the aluminum wheels. Part #PA3X1.25B He said that it is a tight fit but works (you may have to pry it in).

He was aware of your post here and asked me to post thisPerpetual 25% Coupon Code at Castercity.com​ for purchases over $40.
    He was very nice and informative.

So here you go and thank you all for your free information dissemination.

Peace
    Joe
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-19-2022 at 7:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quotew tagging