Thread: cbn grinding wheels

cbn grinding wheels

where is a good place to purchase cbn grinding wheels,,im new at turning and would like to turn some bowls,,could anyone tell me a good sharpening setup to sharpen bowl gouges

I have bought from both of these. D-Way tools and WoodTurners Wonders. Dave's are more expensive, but I like his bushing, it worked better than Ken's washers.

The wolverine system is the standard for sharpening, But get the original Vari-grind jig not the Vari-grind2. Many of us fix the geometry of our jigs for consistency. I can be cheaper to buy a fixed jig like the Ellsworth to begin with, but not by much. theyt are available at most supply houses. Packard sells both jigs and wheels, as do Woodcraft and Craft Supplies
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Got mine from D-way and love it. In fact, love everything I've got from him so far.

D-Way. Very helpful. Great product.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thom: Could you please explain the difference between the Original Vari Grind and the Vari Grind 2. and why you recommend the original and not the 2. Thanks

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Upwood View Post
    Thom: Could you please explain the difference between the Original Vari Grind and the Vari Grind 2. and why you recommend the original and not the 2. Thanks

Ian
    I don't like the 2 either. This (http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/vari-grind2.htm) is a Two, unlike the One it attaches directly. I've messed with the two and didn't find it as useful. I do think the Two might be easier to learn how use
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    ...worked better than Ken's washers.
    I recently bought pair of the Woodturners Wonders new style and need to replace the stamped washers that came with my grinder. I was looking at the ones Raptor sells. I didn't see that Ken has washers too. From your experience they didn't work well in removing side movement?

I really like the wheels, but have little experience with other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Seyfried View Post
    I recently bought pair of the Woodturners Wonders new style and need to replace the stamped washers that came with my grinder. I was looking at the ones Raptor sells. I didn't see that Ken has washers too. From your experience they didn't work well in removing side movement?

I really like the wheels, but have little experience with other brands.
    They worked, but it took some fuzting around to get them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Upwood View Post

Ian
    Ian, the Vari-grind2 is designed to force you to keep the tip of the gouge in the center of the wheel. While admittedly safer, it will wear out the wheel in the center. With matrix (AO) wheels this means a cupped wheel that needs dressing faster. With a CBN you will still wear out the plating in the center faster. Also I'm not sure that things like rounding off the heel work well with that jig.

Note, this is based on the reports of others. I do not own one.

10. I love the Vari-grind II. Once set up you'll get the exact bevel on all your tools. No brainer!

I'm with you Steve. I had the one and moved to the two and have never looked back. Incidentally, I have drilled holes in the arm to duplicate the angles with my D-WaY CBN wheels.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I like my vari-grind 2. I use the 1 for holding my spindle gouges and the 2 for my bowl gouges. I have the CBN wheels on my grinder. I use a pvc spacer on the vee-arm to set the distance from the wheel. It takes longer for my grinder to get up to speed than it does to sharpen a tool. After I found a tool angle that I liked, I set my jigs and don't move them.
    Joe

Jeff, in addition to D-Way as a source, have a look at the Hurricane 8" x 1.5" wide CBN wheels from The Woodturning Store http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/c...els-62_63.html. I have D-Way and Hurricane CBN wheels and recommend both highly. Dave Schweitzer, owner of D-Way, and Steve Fulgoni, owner of The Woodturning Store, are members here and great to do business with. Both are veteran turners in their own right.