Thread: miter fence idea for sliding table saw

miter fence idea for sliding table saw

hi everybody,

been thinking about a miter fence for my (new to me) sliding saw.
    there are some readily available solutions, even the one that comes from SCM as an accessory but mine was not included
    the lachner DGA 900 or altendorf duplex are options too, but at a cost and far from home
    what about doing a DIY franken fence using one of these miter saw bases?
    miter base.jpg

they appear as spares on ebay or locally and am pretty much sure one can rip parts not needed and add a square to the thing using t-slot profiles and the likes. it is readily adjustable and lockable, has angle reading included and an adaptor may be fabricated to screw to the slider side
    there's a video from holzwerken on youtube with a made of wood approach to the miter fence too
    so... what do you think? anybody took the diy path for a miter fence for the sliding saw?
    cheers

Rodrigo

Did you not get a crosscut fence for your slider? My Hammer has the angles marked on the crosscut fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Did you not get a crosscut fence for your slider? My Hammer has the angles marked on the crosscut fence.
    Yes, but, read somewhere and seller also recommended to keep that fence square all the time. Maybe too much a hassle to perfectly re-align?

I use a framing square to check mine when I put it on. Amazing how square it can cut. Much better than a miter saw.

I modified an Incra 1000HD by removing the guide bar and reversing it so it is mounted towards the rear of the body. Very simple and easy to do. I then used a piece of aluminum bar stock and machined it to fit in one of the table slots of the slider and machined another slot in the top of that same bar that fits the Incra guide bar. A couple of clamp bolts firmly fasten it to the table. You can purchase an Incra very reasonably on online auctions and the rest of the items cost me less that $10 and some machining time in the shop. I have pics, but they are on another computer that is down presently.

I have an add-on slider that is just a flat table that has 2 mounting bolts on the edge that is used to hole a fence to it, it has an aluminum plate that fits over the bolts that the cross-cut fens is attached to -- and it is only at 90 degrees ... so I debated a long time before coming up with following ...

I made a 90 degree fence that has a hinge mounted to it at the bend. It mounts to another board that has an aluminum plate that attaches to the table. There is a bolt that fits in a slot to hold the 90 degree fend at the angle that it needs to be in. It holes a piece of wool on either fence -- so it automatically cuts complementary angles with a single setting. I set the angle with one of those parallelogram plastic gauges against the fence.

Miter Guage for Slider.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I took the T-Bar off the miter that came with my Grizzly sliding Table Saw and mounted it to the head of my Incra 1000HD, it works really well and accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo sosa View Post
    Yes, but, read somewhere and seller also recommended to keep that fence square all the time. Maybe too much a hassle to perfectly re-align?
    Hasn't the fence got a zero positive stop? If not I would put one on it to make it easier to zero the fence each time.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fuder View Post
    I modified an Incra 1000HD by removing the guide bar and reversing it so it is mounted towards the rear of the body. Very simple and easy to do. I then used a piece of aluminum bar stock and machined it to fit in one of the table slots of the slider and machined another slot in the top of that same bar that fits the Incra guide bar. A couple of clamp bolts firmly fasten it to the table. You can purchase an Incra very reasonably on online auctions and the rest of the items cost me less that $10 and some machining time in the shop. I have pics, but they are on another computer that is down presently.
    Wayne, pictures would be much appreciated as I am having a bit of trouble getting my mind around it all. What sort of slider was this done on?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo sosa View Post
    Hi, that sounds like an urban myth to me.

All the Hammer crosscut fences have a positive stop at 90 degrees that doesn't go out of adjustment.

Do you have the outrigger table on the saw?

If so, purchase the precision mitre adjustment option from Hammer, fixed stops every 5 degrees, with an extra stop at 22.5 degrees, in both the positive and negative directions. It works great.

regards, Rod.

I know this might sound strange, but I suspect that miter saw base may actually not be accurate enough even if you can find a way to mount it. You may be better off constructing your own from BB plywood and aluminum stock. BTW, my miter fence (and my outrigger's fence) have never moved from 90º in the approximately 8 years I've owned my slider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why not try and build the Guido Henn double miter from Holzwerken? The plans should be in the September / October 2009 issue: https://www.holzwerken.net/shop/abos...r_oktober_2009

The Lachner one is really nice but €1,550 + shipping is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Why not try and build the Guido Henn double miter from Holzwerken? The plans should be in the September / October 2009 issue: https://www.holzwerken.net/shop/abos...r_oktober_2009

The Lachner one is really nice but €1,550 + shipping is insane.
    thats the one made of wood I mentioned before
    and as Jim said, it might be possible the miter base is not that precise
    thanks for your thoughts guys
    cheers
    rodrigo

Resurrecting this post to see if there has been any traction on building the Guido Henn version of the Double Mitre Guage.
    Dave