Thread: Quality aftermarket morticing chisels and bits

Blog Entries

Quality aftermarket morticing chisels and bits

I think I may want to upgrade my morticing chisels and bits to something other than the bits and chisels that came with my Jet morticing machine. Not that they aren't giving me acceptable service...but I am curious as to what might be out there. Does anyone have any experience with other "aftermarket" chisels and bits that they have used and can recommend? Looking for a set of standard sizes
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Was just looking yesterday at the Grizzly site. Good prices and I've always been impressed with their quality control. I'm giving them a try.
    Last edited by Jim Mackell; 01-23-2015 at 9:32 AM. Reason: interrupted by Martians
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Blog Entries
    Yes, Grizzly has a premium offering on mortising chisels from JAPAN. Premium pricing too. I see they offer a set of 4 generic chisels for $30, a similar set from Shopfox for $42.50 or you can pick up a single 1/2" premium chisel for $39. (Gloating, I just got my big, fat Grizz catalog a few days ago, still drooling over it). I bought one of the 5/8" chisels for a Mission style headboard and even my DP was able to punch out the holes with a Delta mortising adaptor it was so sharp.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    JMHO - As with many cutters, a set that costs about what one decent item in the set costs is not going to win any prizes except maybe in your pocket book ;-) Again, as with many cutters, a new one will do a fabulous job for awhile. Your question may be how long can I use this thing before I have to sharpen it? Sharpening Mortise chisel sets is not bigger deal than sharpening a bench chisel but, both actions take time and cause interruption. I really enjoy my higher quality bench chisels for this reason but, the Marples and so forth still have a place in my shop.

For quality mortise chisel/bits the Lee Valley and Fisch both get high marks. Only you can judge what qualities in a cutter are important to you and what they are worth to you. I have some mixed quality bits (Rockler's cheapies, Grizzly and a Lee Valley) that I use by hand for Greene and Greene square peg mortises. The lower end ones I have to stop and sharpen in mid project (again, this does not take long). The Lee Valley's I sharpen every few projects.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-23-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    For quality mortise chisel/bits the Lee Valley and Fisch both get high marks. Only you can judge what qualities in a cutter are important to you and what they are worth to you.
    I can verify he quality of both LV & Fisch. My first set was Fisch. Then, I needed to add to the set, and replace one. It was hard for me to locate a source. Then the LV were mentioned here, and I got them. Still use a couple of the fisch, but mostly the LV.

I recommend the LV.

Cry once.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I also have the LV bits, very good......Rod.

I have the Fisch and swear by them. You can buy them direct if you can't find a local distributor. http://www.fisch-tools.com/en/Produc.../Forstner-Bits Their forstner wave bits are the best there are IMHO

I confirm with what others said - also there is CMT for a middle of the road option which I verified are made in Italy- they just need to be honed and touched up where as the Japanese ones are razor sharp.

fYI, The Japanese/premium ones through Lee Valley and Grizzly are the same, Star-M brand however grizzly sells them for $10 less per bit. Also, don't forget the diamond hones to keep them sharp - the Japanese star-m use a different angle diamond cone and Lee Valley is the only one that I know that carries it. CMT and the other Generic bits use the diamond cones that you can get from Rockler, the less expensive Ones from Lee Valley which are shown in the catalog with their cheaper Mortimer bits, however those cones will only sharpen up to 1/2 inch bits

Never tried Clico or Fisch bits because they cost more than the Japanese/Star-M ones and can't imagine them being any better- They are that good and worth the leap in price over cheaper bits