Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axiom cnc

I just ordered a AR6 Basic with stand and toolbox last Tuesday. Hope I get it soon. I had a HD4 Shark and returned it after a few months. Couldn't keep it running.
    Looking forward to having a better built machine.

2. Can anyone tell me how they like their Axiom Pro? I'm particularly interested in accuracy and capability, and would like to know how the water cooled spindle performs. I just sold a 5' x10' Shopbot Alpha with a Colombo 3HP Spindle, I needed the room in my shop, and am interested in replacing it with a smaller format such as the 2'x4' Axiom which I can index to cut longer items such as a carved mantle. How does it perform in 3D? Is anyone in or near the Spokane WA area?
    ShopBot PRTA 07.jpg

Any updates on the Axiom CNC's? For those who have them have you had any issues?

Thanks
    Ron

I ordered my AR6 a week ago Tuesday and found out Thursday that it will be a month before I ever see it.
    They are selling them faster than they can make them.
    Great for them, bad for people who are waiting for them. I sure hope it's as good as people say they are.
    Sure looks like a sturdy machine. I got to play with one at my local Rockler a few weeks ago. Rock Solid is my best observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Schwartz View Post
    Can anyone tell me how they like their Axiom Pro? I'm particularly interested in accuracy and capability, and would like to know how the water cooled spindle performs.
    We have the Axiom AR8 Pro (2' x 4') and it has been incredibly accurate, reliable and capable. The closed-loop water cooling for the spindle does great. We have run many several-hour jobs and the spindle never got above lukewarm. You can place your hand on the body of the spindle and it barely gets above very slightly warm. Overall we are incredibly pleased with the purchase of our Axiom. It is a very well built, sturdy and strong machine. Have not had any problems.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by John Krumlauf View Post
    Glad to see this thread get revitalized. I just picked up an Axiom Pro 6 this morning from Wood Werks in Columbus.
    Hi John Krumlauf, we picked up our Axiom from Wood Werks in Columbus too. Axiom Precision is actually connected to the same building as Wood Werks.

How have you been liking your Axiom? We have been incredibly pleased with ours. No problems whatsoever thus far.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

To all you guys with Axiom machines, I'm curious how you like the RichAuto controller?

I'm using an old Techno Davinci, updated with Gecko drivers and Mach3, wondering how the RichAuto compares to Mach3?

Richard

I don't have a Axiom, but I had a shark HD4 that also uses a pendant, very similar to the RichAuto A11. It really isn't hard to figure out. You just have to use short file names for your projects. I think it's 6 digits long which was the same as the Shark.
    I ran a Axiom A6 at my local Rockler store and made some cuts with it. Took about 10 min to figure out the controller. I actually like the idea of the pendant controller and no pc in the shop. Others however use the pc with Wincnc and love it.
    I will say the Axiom machine is rock solid. Zero slop of any kind in the X,Y and Z axis. And it's quite heavy. No plastic anywhere on the machine except for some covers.

I agree with Mike, I've got the ar8 - 2 x 4 foot - with spindle. It just runs without problems. I do v carved signs and v carved inlays. The inlays are perfect, here's one I did for my niece

trin2.jpg

That is very nice Gary! Great job on the inlay!
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeRegnaucourt View Post
    Hi John Krumlauf, we picked up our Axiom from Wood Werks in Columbus too. Axiom Precision is actually connected to the same building as Wood Werks.

How have you been liking your Axiom? We have been incredibly pleased with ours. No problems whatsoever thus far.
    Mike,

Sorry I didn't see your question before this. Unfortunately, I got on the forum to look for RichAuto issues. As of this morning, I turned machine on and the handheld was blank. The screen was powered and back-lit, but no text. I tried re-booting several times, but no luck. I also tried the Emergency State boot method that Chad described in a post, but that didn't work either. Sounds to me like the handheld is bad. I used the CNC a couple weeks ago for a small project and it worked fine then. I emailed support, so hopefully I hear back tomorrow (Monday). It seems that they have had more than a few issues with the handheld, but with respect to the number of machines sold, maybe it's a very low percentage.

Other than the handheld, I haven't had any problems. It seems to be well constructed. I do think they should put limit switches on both ends of travel, rather than relying on software limits, but it hasn't caused any issues so far. I've been using V-Carve Pro, which I think is pretty easy to use. Took a little time to get AutoCad commands out of my head and use the menu. I'm still "playing" with feeds and speeds to find the best combination. How's your AR8 performing?

Hi John,

Out AR8 Pro is still performing great. The only couple of minor issues I have had I was able to fix myself. First was one of the wires for the touch-off puck came loose "inside" the puck. I unscrewed the wires and soldered them together to the lug and reattached them to the puck and the touch-off was once again working. As an aid to try and prevent future stress at the point where the wires go into the puck, I bought myself some Sugru (a moldable glue product) and formed it around the wire and blended it into the side of the puck. This has helped eliminate the higher stress fatigue point of the wire and puck interface. The 2nd problem I was having was some noise (best I can describe is like a faint grinding noise) in the X-axis screw rod and ballscrew race. I contacted Axiom and they said this was normal. Well, it certainly did not sound normal to me...sounded more like grit in a bearing noise to me. There is no way to get a grease gun onto the zerk on the grantry. The manual said to use LPS lubricant. I did this and that is when the noises started happening. With Axiom telling me the noise was normal and me worrying the ballscrew on the X-axis was being slowly destroyed I decided to try applying a thin layer of a high quality grease to the linear screw. I then ran the gantry back and forth in the x-axis several times and the "grinding" noise stopped. I personally think the recommendation of applying a thin coating LPS lubricant actually began to dissolve the original grease in the ballscrew. I could be wrong but once I grease the screw that the ballscrew travels on, the "grinding" noise subsided. I wish the zerk fittings on the gantry were not embedded into slots which prevents getting a grease gun onto the fittings. Why they would make these fittings inaccessible makes zero sense to me.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Mike,

The zerk fitting thing is a thorn in my side too. Initially I thought they were turned in for shipping and we could move back to where they should be, but I guess that isn't the case. A light coat of grease on the screws seems to be the only means of lubrication. I was looking at a tool that "may work". (see attachment). If it doesn't work on the CNC, I could probably find a use somewhere else!

I'll let you know if I get one, and if it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, which LPS lubricant did the manual say to use? They make many different types.

richard,

I've not found any mention of what lubricant to use in the manuals, but the Axiom forum has a post from Chad (I assume) that states the following:

Post by Axiom Tool Group on Mar 9, 2016 at 5:05pm

We have used many different types of lubricants but not all work ideally.

LPS like WD40 evaporates, though not as quickly. Teflon tends to be to dry for most applications. Although it may work great for the guides, not really for the ball screw.

Our applications recommend wiping the rails and ballscrew down with a shop cloth or using compressed air to clean them. Then using a cloth to apply 3-in-1 oil.

Using the cloth you avoid applying too much and you can wipe and repeat as needed. Monitor the rails, when they appear dirty or dry, clean and reapply.

As for thing sticking to the oil, be sure to use light amounts of lubricant. This is a known problem with many lubricants. And dust collection is absolutely a must.