Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connection to the inlet of the Super Dust Deputy

Steve,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I have not been on the creek in a few days. I don't know the model number and I am not at my shop to look at it. I just asked for the Fernco 5" to 5" at the plumbing supply house and took what they gave me. If you need the model and if it is written on the fitting, I will likely get to the shop this weekend and can check for you.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Steve,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I have not been on the creek in a few days. I don't know the model number and I am not at my shop to look at it. I just asked for the Fernco 5" to 5" at the plumbing supply house and took what they gave me. If you need the model and if it is written on the fitting, I will likely get to the shop this weekend and can check for you.

Jon
    It should be written on there, so if you can get me the number, that would be great. I can slip 5" flex hose over the inlet, so I should be able to go with that, but I think the Fernco fitting would have more strength.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Steve, I had the same problem as others with the SDD and used the Oneida 5-4 reducer for a while, but am now switching to 5 inch metal duct throughout. The Fernco coupler I've got on order should work as it covers an ID range of 4.6 to 5.2 inches. Details are at the Fernco site here http://www.fernco.com/dimensional-dr...s-1060/1060-44 and you can also get them from Amazon for around $15 (although the Amazon description is wrong as you can read in the reviews)

Suggestion! I have HF DC and the SSD I am going to stack the blower directly to the input of the vacuum side of the SSD
    using a 6 inch HVAC take off flange. I removed the round panel on the blower that has the 5 inch input port (suction)
    I made a new cover out of 1/2 MDF used 6m x 1.0 x 16 screws to fasten the new cover. I cut a 6 inch hole with my scroll saw and attached a 6 inch HVAC take off flange to the cover plate. I have greater air velocity currently I have no way to measure the deference at this time. I will measure the current draw to see what the diffenance is from the stock set up.
    with the new HVAC flange it fits snugly into the SSD, Of course foil dust tape is applied to the joints.
    I will be using 5 inch HVAC (local supplier $5.50 for 5 ft ) ducting for my plenum, the drops with be with Whyes made by a local shop $30.00 for each I will have 4 drops with blast gates. I will also use a Wynne 35Anano filter in place of the bag dust distributior.:-)
    My shop is a small two car garage. When I get the system completed I will post photographs.
    i am currently using the stock HF blower Fan, I am at a 1900 foot mean sea level altitude in Texas I am not sure if the the Rikon 12 inch impeller is warranted.

if anyone has any suggestions please give me your feed back.

Mating 5" to SDD

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Everitt View Post
    I called Oneida today, and the sales guy said a 5" crimped sheetmetal duct should fit into the ID of the SDD inlet. If for some reason it won't, he suggested using the rubber sleeve with hose clamps on each side that is used to join sewer lines. I will find out if it fits next week when my SDD arrives.
    And today's answer is (drum roll)... I just called Oneida today, and they told me their recommendation is to connect 5" galv by doing a "pie cut" in the galv, to narrow it to fit inside the inlet port. I wasn't familiar with the term, but assumed that it just meant a series of cuts to create tabs that you could bend inward to narrow the diameter, like some take-offs do, but bending in instead of flanging out. Then presumably screw for security and tape for air. Maybe they meant taking a narrow V out instead of just a straight cut, to avoid the overlap between tabs when bent in, that sounds kind of pie-like.

But googling it for confirmation showed a completely different meaning, so I don't know if they're just misusing the term or if there's something I'm missing. The Fernco was my next direction if I can't get the galv to mate directly. It would also be the route to use if I could find some 5" plastic, which would be my preference but seems to be as rare as hen's teeth.

It's so freaking weird that Oneida makes this product with a completely non-standard ~5" opening, shows multiple customer builds mating it to various materials, but doesn't just make an adapter. Or, what a concept, make the molded-in inlet fit standard ductwork in the first place.

Anyone try narrowing the diameter of galvanized by cutting tabs as described above?
    Last edited by Allen Matsumoto; 01-26-2018 at 2:25 PM.

I used 5 inch ducting the airflow is much greater than 4 inch.

A 5" Fernco boot fits over the end of the SDD inlet.

8. Heating the plastic at the inlet with a heat gun gives you a little bit of wiggle room. needed to do that to mine to get the 5" snap lock pipe to fit in snugly.

Patrick, I was going to say the same thing. I have a dust deputy on my shop vac and it also has odd sized connections. I've found you can change PVC diameter quite a bit with a heat gun. 2.5 inch schedule 40 works well for the smaller dust deputy and it needs to expand and taper to fit. A few seconds with the heat gun, shove it onto the DD, hold it there while it cools and you have a great fit for very little money. I forget what I was doing when I shrunk it but that was more work but I did get there.

If you could find PVC that is close, I am sure this would work too.