Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connection to the inlet of the Super Dust Deputy

Connection to the inlet of the Super Dust Deputy

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info on this site, first time poster here. It's been a big help as I"m getting started on my dust collection set-up for my small basement shop. I'm planning to use the 2 HP Harbor Freight dust collector, modified with a super dust deputy, and venting outside.

For ducting, I'm planning to run 4" sheet metal ducting to blast gates, and 4" flex tubing from there to the tools. I only have a table saw and miter saw at this point, so it's a pretty short distance from the DC to my tools.

My question has to do with the connection to the 5" inlet on the SDD. I want to put a 5" x 4" x 4" "Y" from Kencraft's directly onto the SDD, with the 5" side of the "Y" being crimped to allow the rest of my ducting to have the crimped end towards the DC. In reading the about the SDD, it looks like they recommend slipping a 5" x 4" reducer over the inlet.

Can anyone tell me if a 5" crimped sheetmetal fitting will fit inside the 5" inlet on the SDD?

Thanks for the assistance.

Ned

Mine came with a 5" female coupler. The crimped end fits in the SDD.

Cool. Thanks for the confirmation.

I am currently working on hooking up the Super Dust Deputy to a Delta dust collector. I bought two sheet metal reducers from Home Depot. The 6-5 reducer fit the 6" exit at the top of the SDD with some judicious crimping, but the 5-4 reducer on the inlet side is just too tight to fit well. Oneida sells reducers to fit, but the phone rep says it takes them a week to ship, plus the delivery time. According to the Oneida website, the 5-4 reducer they sell for the regular size SDD fits outside the SDD inlet port. All other connections, including the inlet for the large SDD must be crimped. I also had plastic reducers on hand, but none of them fit the SDD. Frustrating.

Jon, sorry to hear about your troubles. Did your SDD come with a 5" female coupler like Mike mentioned? When I ordered my SDD today, I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in their literature. I did order their 6" adapter for the exit, but am still trying to figure out the inlet side. I was hoping a crimped 5" would slip inside. Was your home depot reducer crimped on the 5" side?

Ned, I wanted to save shipping costs, so I drove to the nearest Woodcraft and picked up the super dust deputy. They didn't have the reducers that Oneida sells and none of Woodcraft's limited stock of fittings worked with the SDD. I bought an inexpensive crimping tool to crimp the fittings I bought at Home Depot. I might be able to force the fitting onto the inlet side, but I wish I had purchased the Oneida fitting before beginning my modifications. Now I am without a dust collector until I get the mods done, so I really can't wait up to two weeks for a part. If you look through Oneida's website carefully, they do a good job of explaining what parts to order for your model.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't suggest choking a 2 hp collector with 4" pipe. Stick with 5" as far as possible, then reduce to 4" for your flex.
    WD-40 and duct tape: if it's too tight use WD-40, if it's too sloppy, use duct tape!
    NOW you tell me...

I called Oneida today, and the sales guy said a 5" crimped sheetmetal duct should fit into the ID of the SDD inlet. If for some reason it won't, he suggested using the rubber sleeve with hose clamps on each side that is used to join sewer lines. I will find out if it fits next week when my SDD arrives.

I took my SDD to Home Depot and Menard's to try to find fittings and did not find any of the rubber sewer pipe connectors that seemed like a close fit. I don't have much familiarity with them, though, so maybe they have more range than I am aware of. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

I had the hardest time getting things to attach to the dust deputy. They make the diameter's 1/16" bigger than all the big box stores to force you to buy their adapters....cool. I had to take the next size up (6" for the 5" and 7" for the 6") and cut them to make them fit if that makes sense. So I shorten the reducer so I can find the middle ground between the sizes so it fit. Sealed with the x-treme duct work tape and it works. Definitely said some words throughout the process though. Take some calipers to the store with you and measure the connectors so you can tell if it will fit or not.

I dont have a SDD, but have you tried one of these? They come in lots of sizes, and work really well for adapting things to other things that juuuust dont quite fit. Also - super cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-...5yc1vZbqpfZ4hs
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fernco, that's exactly what the Oneida sales guy suggested. Applying some silicone may help it slide on easier too.

I bought the 4 x 4 fernco rubber sleeve yesterday, but it doesn't come close to fitting. The 6x6 is way too big, and Home Depot doesn't stock 5x5. I'm planning to try a plumbing supply store today.

This is a bit belated, but I did get the Fernco rubber fitting for 5 inch plastic to 5 inch plastic connections, though I had to go to two plumbing supply houses before finding one that stocks them. It was a bit loose on the Super Dust Deputy inlet port at first, but the hose clamp snugged it down nicely. If you don't buy Oneida's fitting, this one will work. It cost about $17.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    This is a bit belated, but I did get the Fernco rubber fitting for 5 inch plastic to 5 inch plastic connections, though I had to go to two plumbing supply houses before finding one that stocks them. It was a bit loose on the Super Dust Deputy inlet port at first, but the hose clamp snugged it down nicely. If you don't buy Oneida's fitting, this one will work. It cost about $17.
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Jon, do you know if you used the Fernco 1056-55 rubber fitting, or was it a different model?

Thanks,
    Steve
    And there was trouble, taking place...