Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many saws, and why?

How many saws, and why?

Okay, I realize this is kind of an open-ended question, kind of like when I see pics of people's shops with umpteen routers, each dedicated to a different use and left set up for projects. I've been looking at more hand-tool shop pics and I've noticed that besides dovetail and tenon and carcass and goodness knows what else, a lot of folks seem to have multiple rip and crosscut panel (hopefully I have the right term there) saws in their saw tills. Assuming these aren't just collectors, why would you have multiple rip and crosscut panel saws, rather than one of each? I know some are a few inches longer or shorter, or have slightly different teeth-per-inch... but does that make *that* much difference to justify having more than rip saw? Yes, I be ignant and in need of edumacation, having only ever used a generic 'hand saw' from the local hardware store... please help me out here

Different saws perform different functions better than others, just like hand planes. For instance, if you're ripping parts out of a long, wide board, you want to get the job done as quickly as possible. You're not going to choose your 10 tpi rip saw....you're going to reach for your most aggressively filed rip, probably a 5 1/2 tpi saw. Same for cross cut saws. You can certainly cut dainty dovetails with your 16" tenon saw with 4 1/2" of plate, but more than likely you'll want to reach for your 10" dovetail saw with 18 tpi. Now, if you're cutting tenons for a large farm table leg, you'll be reaching for that larger tenon saw, and for crosscuts on 5" square stock, you'll be doing the same with a 14" or 16" carcass saw, or maybe even a D9 halfback saw.

Thus the reason for having so many different saws in your till. They all have their place, and if you do a lot of hand work, you will find many situations where having the right saw for the job is optimal over just getting by with....well......whatever. The more teeth per inch a saw has, the finer the cut, and also slower, too.

Make any sense?
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Thus the reason for having so many different saws in your till.
    +1 on what Jeff said.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mostly it's an addiction thing I assume. Good old saws are often so cheap it's hard to pass them by.
    It is beneficial to have different pitches for different sizes and types of wood. Having a ton of different saws means you need to maintain a ton as well though.

For the douglas fir and soft hardwoods around my area I could get by with a 7tpi rip and a 8-10tpi crosscut as my only hand saws for rough stock dimensioning. If I had to. But a 4 tpi is handy for resawing.

I don't have to though, and I inherited 4 from my grandfather and have picked up 6 or 7 more from local farms and garage sales. So it doesn't take long to have a stack of them.

More Than One Of Each Saw

Oh you mean like my main man Harold Ionson.
    When one dulls you can just grab another (kind of like my stack of hand plane blades of the same size).
    Also assuming one is in such great demand that one does not have time to sharpen ones saws one can have a couple out to the saw sharpener guy (some times if we are talking Japanese pull saws, not the ones in my photo, then that means long delays because the saw sharpener may be the original maker in Japan).

Then there is the whole tooth shape for extra hard wood or for softer wood thing.

Or perhaps, assuming one is in such great demand, one has helpers that come in and they need a saw while you are using a saw of the same type.

I have a lot of saws but I don't have any of those pesky "problems" I mentioned above. I just don't know any better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I get by with five saws. A dovetail, carcass, tenon, and a pair of panel saws one rip and one crosscut. That is pretty much a traditional set of saws. Back in the day people had what they needed, and nothing more. I tend to be old school, I see no reason for more. Why have an 8tpi and another 12tpi when I don't leave a sawn edge, there is always something else done to the edge after sawing. I would rather spend the extra money on wood or another tool I don't have. That and my space is limited. Now days some people just like to collect more, and there is nothing wrong with that.

What other durable, useful artifact from our forebears can be had for so little money?

I regularly use three vintage saws and one modern one from our very own Ron Bontz.

They share a common "balance" based on the size board I'm cutting.

I wasn't really asking why have a 26" 5-1/2 tpi rip saw vs a 16" tenon saw vs a 10" 18tpi dovetail saw, or why a 24" 8-10tpi crosscut panel saw vs a smaller carcass or shoulder saw... I was asking why do I see multiple 22-26"+ big hand saws in a till. I'd wondered about the downtime for sharpening aspect, but hadn't thought of different tooth geometry for different woods or the loaner part. I'm sure that SWMBO will go for that... "honest hon, I really do need 3 extra saws for ripping, and 3 more for x-cut just for when Sam & Fred & Bill come over so I can put them to work!" Yeah... although maybe I could spin it as extras for when the grandkids are old enough to come to the shop and help out in a few years ;p

Why not!?!?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Monte, lots of reasons for lots of different folks. Some, in particular, are very talented with sharpening saws, "relate" to saws, the geometry of the teeth, fleam, etc, and have access to saws, know where to get them, ENJOY them, and USE them - It only makes sense that they would be surrounded by an abundance of saws.

the real question is why do some people have more than one or two golf balls (you can only play with one at a time), why do baseball players have more than one bat and one glove, why do women need more than three pair of shoes, why do chefs have more than one or two knives, artists more than 3 or 4 brushes, you get the point (or not) by now.

as for me, I have so many, and 3 more on order, because I want to play with them and compare. Hoarding and OCD and lack of self-control, lack of skill, all may have some "mild" influence upon my actions.

Blog Entries
    Actually, it is a competition to see who can have the most toys. I would have to go count, but I probably have 15-20 saws.

They are different teeth configuration, rip and cross cut. I'm sure there are some here that eclipse my holdings.

I do use different saws for different tasks.

For instance, when coming in with a load of newly purchased boards, I will set up sawhorses and cut the boards to lengths that I want to use and or store.
    That would be probably an eight point cross cut saw. If while cutting a board to length while in the vise, an eight point panel saw would be used.

Also, the saw I use may be a matter of whimsy that I'm experiencing at the moment.

Remember the old saying, "The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys."

I hope this helps.

I'm sure someone will respond with a more helpful response, but I do speak the truth.

Patrick, you forgot the beauty aspect. Ron Bontz makes some achingly beautiful saws. I particularly lust after his half-backs. One of these days, I'll buy one even though I have no specific need. My dream is to have a matched pair of them. Heck, I don't even know what the use case is for half-backs vs panel saws. It's just that they are so gorgeous.

I fully understand the 'just because' factor, along with the collector, loaner, and minutiae aspects, along with the production/dedicated-tool mentality. My 'other' hobby involves long-range shooting competition, and anyone that looks at my loading bench who isn't a serious aficionado of the same would probably go 'WTF?!?' Its a little ironic that there I'm the one with the multiples of nearly everything, some because I wanted to try something new, some because I want to leave them set up for specific tasks, some just... because. Someone lacking the same in-depth background (or with a more minimalist attitude) wouldn't see a need for over half of what I have there, probably the same way I don't have the experience with hand sawing to really appreciate the value of different configurations of what otherwise looked like the same type of saw. I still don't have the experience, I guess, but now at least I understand a bit more about what I don't know - if that makes any sense

Thanks,

Monte

Harriet is pretty hot (I think).

the saw I use may be a matter of whimsy that I'm experiencing at the moment.
    I know I am experiencing
    MAJOR whimsy at this moment.

Whimsy is good if you can handle it. Tends to take over your life and leave one a hollowed out shell if you aren't careful. Don't ask how I know this.
    Or in the words of Frasier Crane's cop father :
    "I'm not going to ANY Halloween party where I have to tell people my name is Whimsy.".
    He wanted to be dressed as Sherlock Holmes, there were no Holmes costumes left and Niles got him a costume to go as Lord Peter Whimsy. Another British sleuth hound.

A good show and set of books actually. Harriet (in TV mini series(es)) is pretty hot . . . I think.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I tried to find a short movie clip of Predator eyeing his skull collection, but had no luck. I only need about 18 handsaws, and a half dozen or so backsaws.