Thread: Christmas Turnings

Christmas Turnings

Hi Everyone,
    I don't post often but I spent considerable time in the shop making Christmas presents this holiday season and wanted to share some pics with you. I was not sure what to do so I turned to trusty Wood Magazine for an idea. In issue 217, May 2013, a paperclip caddy was a project of interest. For those who have not seen it there is a magnet inside to allow the paperclips to stay on the top.

I reviewed the plans and set out. I made about 25 for co-worker and family gifts. These went over very well and were appreciated.

The wood used was Curly Maple, Purple Heart, Bocote, Jatoba, Sapele, Padauk and Birch (not pictured).
    It was a lot of fun and I made a lot of variations which the pictures don't due justice. Other than that the only difference I had was using two different 4/4 pieces to make the top and bottom instead of splitting a thicker piece. This was easier since I had a lot to make. I also used my Nova G3 instead of gluing on sacrificial pieces to do the turning.

Anyway I thought I would share. Comments are most appreciated.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Jim

IMG_0724.jpgIMG_0722.jpgIMG_0723.jpg
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

That's a beautiful collection Jim. Looks like you've got the process done pat. I'll bet they make a great conversation piece for anyone's desk.

They look great. What finish did you use and what does the inside look like?

Yes, I too like the finish and am curious as to what they look like inside. Nice job.

Red
    RED

Very nice Jim. I'm sure they will all be well appreciated. I too like the finish. The chatoyance on the purple heart is outstanding.

Hi guys. Thanks for the kind comments. As to the finish, all were done with a high friction polish at about 2300 rpms. No colors added.

The inside is shown below. the side with the recess is the top before turning. The side with the round tenon is the base and you can see the hole drilled to accept a 3/4" round magnet from home depot.

IMG_0671.JPG IMG_0674.JPG
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Nice job Jim! I bet everyone that got one really thought they were great. Thanks for the explanation on how they were made and for the detail of capturing (incapsulate) the magnets.

Thanks Jim. As a woodworker we are always happy when gifts are well received. The ones I gave out this year are on my co-workers desks all over my office so I can see those were well appreciated and put to good use.
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe