Thread: Wood Choice: Large Format InkJet Printer Super Structure To Hold 25" x 38" Paper

Wood Choice: Large Format InkJet Printer Super Structure To Hold 25" x 38" Paper

I have an Epson T5000 ink jet printer that takes up to 36" wide paper. It can accept roll paper or large cut sheets. I am going to be feeding into it cut-sheet paper that is 25" x 38"; the 25" edge is what will be fed into the printer. Here's a photo of what the free standing printer looks like:

SureColor-T5000-precise-inkjet-plotter-dimension.png

I need to build an accessory feed frame or super structure which interleaves into the paper feed area providing accurate feed of these large sheets. The frame needs to be capable of holding the sheet of paper at an angle so the paper feeds into the printer with high precision and remains square with the feed. I'll have some sort of adjusting mechanism for the fine tuning. I'm going to be printing on both sides of the paper (sheet music with "8-up" which means 8 pages of 12.5" x 9.5" pages imposed so that the 25" x 38" sheet is folded several times to create a booklet called a signature containing 16 pages folded) and would like to achieve the highest registration possible. I've tried some hand-feeding and the size of the paper causes it to move and wiggle introduces variance of registration.

For this project I am envisioning a torsion-like frame that would sit on top of the printer and be attached as needed. It will probably have a curve on it so the edge of the paper feeding in does not have the full weight of the paper forcing it in -- there should be enough weight to help it feed into the rollers, but after that, the paper should be horizontal to lessen the downward pressure of the paper. The frame holder would basically hold the sheet of paper having edge guides so that the paper cannot wiggle or feed in at an angle other than 90 degrees to the intake.

I'm planning on building something with wood as a prototype and what I end up with may remain the wooden structure, or I may move to a plastic or metal to minimize movement and assure stability with lightness in weight. Old "traction feed" printers that have removable paper holes on the sides had metal wire racks on their tops over which the roll of detachable sheets would feed.

So my question here is: what wood would you recommend that is light and has minimum movement? The environment, my basement, will be a pretty stable environment so once the wood has acclimated, it should not want to move much. Poplar is what comes to mind, I have not worked with Poplar before. The lightest wood I've worked with is Port Orford Cedar. Would Balsa be too light and too expensive and too difficult to construct when dimensions might be 40" in some parts?
    John L. Poole

As function seems to trump form here, are you averse to plywood? BB ply is stable light, and easy to work with. If you are not persnickety about banding the edges, this will be the easiest.

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, a very thin Baltic Birch ("BB") would be a candidate -- though the adhesive in it makes it heavy. I want to minimize the weight load on the Epson body so as not to mar or damage the surface... but then I could use felt as a cushion. Thank you.
    John L. Poole

I studied Baltic Birch more and see they have a 3mm product, so I've ordered a sheet to try out. Thank you, again.
    John L. Poole

Basswood is lightweight and quite stable.

Will you keep the printer near a wall?

I think a shelf just above the infeed would
    fill the bill, and keep the weight off the printer body.

Something like the shelves used for wire racks,
    with a guide on the sides to keep the sheets square
    would be my choice, for a prototype.

As an alternative, a large baking sheet.

Either could be sourced from your local restaurant supply house.