Thread: Old Craftsman 11323800 wood lathe

Old Craftsman 11323800 wood lathe

Hello turner!

I am new to wood turning and honestly my lack of knowledge proves it. My Father had an old Craftsman 12" lathe that he bought years ago and never used. Unfortunately, at some point he misplaced the manual.

I am trying to figure out what parts I need and I am not finding much on the Internet. I have been turning bottle stoppers, but I need a Jaw chuck and a faceplate so I can start turning larger items. I believe I need a 3/4 16 tpi faceplate, but I am a bit stumped with what else I need to try and turn some small bowls and such.

Any help?

Thanks Guys, Ashleigh

I have no idea what that # relates to,,but if it is 3/4x16 you can get chucks,& faceplates just about anywhere. For lower priced ones, go to Penn State industries. For better, try Craft Supplies USA, or Packard woodworks. As for tools to turn bowls, again check these three places. Try to find a turning club..they can help immensely.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

That is the craftsman mono tube lathe which you are likely to quickly outgrow if you find that you like turning. I would not buy a chuck that didn't use adapters to get to 3/4 x 16. That way you can just change the adapter when you decide to upgrade. Know that you can do most turnings without a chuck, if you want to get some experience without spending a lot of money. Most important have fun and be safe.

Go to Penn State Industries, they sell a lot of accessories that already have adapters to fit your lathe. Their 4 Jaw chucks start at around $100 and they will be a better deal than a face plate. If you really want a face plate go to eBay and look for one, take your time the buy it now's are usually expensive, wait for the bid sales.

Ashleigh, I started off with a Craftsman mono-tube lathe (model # 103.23880). One thing to take into consideration are the lathe speeds available to you. When roughing out a bowl, you will want the lathe set on the slowest speed. On my old lathe, that speed was WAY too fast and looking back, was not a very safe thing to do because the lathe wanted to walk across the floor until I had the chunk of wood balanced.

Where are you located? It would save you lots of time/money if you could get an experienced turner(s) to help guide you in what you actually need as far as tools - vs what looks like a good idea. There may be an AAW turning club near you and that would be your best source of information. You can check by going here: AAW Chapter
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If it is the round tube craftsman I have the manual on my work computer (just took the old lathe off my table when I got a new Sorby sharpening system. I will look tomorrow. PM me with your e-mail.

Or or try this link: http://www.hammerwall.com/Manuals/Cr...athe/L0807003/

As as to the lathe, I turned many if my first pieces, including my first two segmented bowls. One major piece of advice for this (or any piece of woodworking equipment with a detached motor, immediately throw away the old rubber belt and get a segmented one. Cut down the vibration to near zero and was like a new lathe, and turning 3 pieces and selling them allowed me to upgrade to my current Nova, but I digress.

Let me know how to help as I wrestled with it affectionately for years!
    Last edited by Blair Swing; 01-19-2015 at 9:26 PM.