Thread: Cutting bevel- Tablesaw

Cutting bevel- Tablesaw

I am trying to make some backer boards for installing crown molding. I am working with 52/38 crown. I am using 3/4" ply for the backer board. I set my saw to 38 degrees to the table / 52 degrees to the fence. My problem is I need to stand the ply on edge to get the angle I need. I made a test cut and it seems a little dangerous since at the exit of the blade the ply is on the knife edge.

Your thoughts and opinions? I plan to make 4' long pieces of backer.

Update: Studying the situation, can I put a feather board against the stock after it exits the blade to keep it against the fence? Seem like it would not cause any binding or be unsafe.

George
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-15-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I make little triangles out of 2x2s for crown backers. I set up a little production run on my chop saw and make a bunch at a time using a stop block to keep them uniform. Works pretty good. I space them about 16" apart and hold them up with a couple of long 15 gauge nails into the corner rafter or studs so that they're nice and solid.

IMG_1631.jpgIMG_1634.jpg

I want to be able to nail the crown anywhere along a run not just at the studs or ceiling joists.
    George

Those kinds of cuts scare me also. Depending on how the backer board is mounted you don't really need to have a knife edge. Leave a proud 1/16" flat on the beveled edge so it can register to the table after the cut. If you really need the knife edge (not sure why you would) start with a thicker board, say 13/16", then run the board through the planer to bring that side down to the bevel.. Clear as mud?
    Mark R

Your backer board doesn't need a knife edge on it. It could have a blunt tip that's a quarter inch wide, and it would still serve perfectly as a backer board. The molding is going to cover the gap.

I suggest cutting them on a crosscut sled with a modification to hold them at an appropriate angle. 4 inch long pieces should be very manageable this way. You possibly could incorporate a clamp to everything nice and snug

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I suggest cutting them on a crosscut sled with a modification to hold them at an appropriate angle. 4 inch long pieces should be very manageable this way. You possibly could incorporate a clamp to everything nice and snug
    Ooops, just edited my post. I am making them 4 foot long.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rakestraw View Post
    Those kinds of cuts scare me also. Depending on how the backer board is mounted you don't really need to have a knife edge. Leave a proud 1/16" flat on the beveled edge so it can register to the table after the cut. If you really need the knife edge (not sure why you would) start with a thicker board, say 13/16", then run the board through the planer to bring that side down to the bevel.. Clear as mud?
    I am using ply not sold stock so the planer is not an option.

I agree on not needing a knife edge and will look at perhaps going that route.
    George

I wanted the same thing when I installed crown in my house.

I ripped a bevel on 2x3's and installed that as a backer. The thicker 2x3 stock was preferable to rip for your reason.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Ooops, just edited my post. I am making them 4 foot long.
    Then I would agree that using the fence and some featherboards and setting the cut to give ~ 1/8" flat probably makes the most sense