Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking Gauge

Blog Entries

Marking Gauge

In another thread on story sticks, there is a mention of marking gages.
    It is the thread for story stick. The stick closely resembles the one featured in the attached link. I thought you might be interested in the marking gages as well. This link will take you to it.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar..._marking_gauge

I'm posting it here to avoid highjacking the other string.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-14-2015 at 11:05 AM.

I'm preparing to make a marking gauge myself. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to secure the beam, but The rest is pretty clear thanks to some great suggestions here.

I want a triangular beam so it snugs up without any wiggle. I also want a knife style cutter rather than a traditional pin. Mine will be made from a blank beading cutter like these. It will be V shaped and secure with a screw into the end of the beam. The body will be shaped much like a Japanese kebiki. I want a top mounted screw type lock rather than a wedge. I'd like to find a knurled knob with a threaded stud but I haven't found anything yet. That's my next step, locate a suitable knob/screw/stud and then draw it all out in Sketchup.

I've been thinking about it for a year or more, hopefully I'll finally start making in the next few weeks. I was going to do it during the holidays but got side tracked by other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    In another thread on story sticks, there is a mention of marking gages.
    It is the thread for story stick. The stick closely resembles the one featured in the attached link. I thought you might be interested in the marking gages as well. This link will take you to it.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar..._marking_gauge

I'm posting it here to avoid highjacking the other string.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I wonder if you could make one with an old "engineer's" triangular ruler?
    They're straight, stable and already marked with gradations.

That's an interesting idea. I was also thinking of something similar for a panel gage, but with t-slot track. Decided that it was just too ugly.
    Your black ruler actually looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

Jim, that is a stellar idea! Never thought of it.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

a knurled knob with a threaded stud
    http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Knurled-...ed+screw+brass
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    You can buy a whole gage from HF for the price of that thumb screw. You certainly want to pick through the stock, but the one I bought was ok. I do like the idea of the roller gage, and it's on the lathe project list.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Yikes! That's a it pricey. You can get #10-24 x 1/2 in. Coarse Zinc-Plated Steel Thumb Screws (4-Pack)[, for $1.18 at home depot. same screw in stainless for $0.96 each
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 01-15-2015 at 9:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    I do like the idea of the roller gage, and it's on the lathe project list.
    I must have missed the "roller gage" (gauge). Now you have piqued my interest.

What is a roller gage?

Also a note on my learning on this. The next time one of these is made the mortise for the wedge will go deeper into the mortice for the beam. Currently my wedge can fall out. A deeper mortise would make for a taller bead on the wedge that would be blocked by the edge when the beam holds it up.

Not sure if this makes sense. If not, let me know if pictures would help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you can forgo the knurling, LV has nice thumb screws into which you could epoxy a length of threaded rod: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...51&cat=1,43455
    David B. Morris

"Holz ist heilig."

Blog Entries
    If you can forgo the knurling, LV has nice thumb screws into which you could epoxy a length of threaded rod:
    At those prices I might try to make my own.

Then again I have a 1/4-28 tap and could use some of the thumb screws salvaged from an old Stanley #45.

Forget that idea. Just looked at the listings on ebay and the LV solution might be less expensive.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you can make an order of a couple of oddball things, mcmaster carr carries that kind of stuff:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#knurled-head-screws/=vh9gvo

(see the "tall" knurled screws on the right - stainless might be a good choice).

Anything brass is going to be more (and they don't have tall head brass it appears)

Quote Originally Posted by David B. Morris View Post
    If you can forgo the knurling, LV has nice thumb screws into which you could epoxy a length of threaded rod: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...51&cat=1,43455
    That is exactly what I did. Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but Hamilton marking gauges sells replacement blades that are very nice.

photo-173.jpg
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Your tools look nicer than my furniture, dammit.

At least you get some furniture made. By the time I finish the chairs I'm working on, I won't need them--I'll be riding around shouting "I love my Rascal!"
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert