Thread: Florida Woodturning Symposium

Florida Woodturning Symposium

The Symposium was this past week-end. Key demonstrators included Alan Lacer and Trent Bosch. John Jordan was scheduled to do rotions (he is generally there as a vendor) but had to bow out due to health issues. He sent Dennis Paullus who gave the same rotations. Dennis is one of Johns students. Attached are some pictures from the instant Gallery.
    Dennis_Paullus_Acorn_Boxes.jpgEd_Newton_Bradford_Pear.jpgEd_Newton_Nip.jpgBob_Rosand_box.jpg
    Pictures were taken with cell phone, so sorry if quality is not the best. I've had to crop to get them to upload. I either included the makers name as the picture name or an image of the card where I could.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

more pictures
    Nadine_Johnson_Goblet.jpgKIMG0053.jpgKIMG0054.jpgKIMG0055.jpg

I think you can see that I like embellishments

And more pictures

Monopus.jpgKIMG0060.jpgMiniatures by Lee Sky - He's been doing it quite a bit longer than I have....

Other pictures would not load, I will have to resize them and try later.

Thanks for posting these Thom! The instant galleries at symposiums have many incredible turnings that don't get posted on forums. It is a pleasure to see these.

There's some very well done pieces in all those pictures. Probably like the vases more than the others because those are more along the lines of my current interests although those acorn boxes are pretty slick.

Pictures are fine. They did some awesome work.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    There's some very well done pieces in all those pictures. Probably like the vases more than the others because those are more along the lines of my current interests although those acorn boxes are pretty slick.
    The acorn boxes and 'Pods' were by Dennis Paullus, the demonstrator that took John Jordan's place. Unfortunately, I did not make any of his sessions.

Thom , My brother-in law said they posted pictures to a facebook page . but I cant find it .do you have info on that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph M Lary View Post
    Thom , My brother-in law said they posted pictures to a facebook page . but I cant find it .do you have info on that ?
    Search Florida Wood Turning Symposium on facebook and click on the 'pictures' link. they only have a few of the Instant gallery, but they are ones I missed.

Thom, thanks for the pictures. Really some nice stuff. I can't believe how small the miniatures are.

Thanks Thom

Thanks so much for the pictures and inspiration Thom. I'm interested in attempting a goblet similar to the one turned by Bill Piastuch with the natural edge. Is there particular wood(s) that would have a higher propensity of keeping the bark intact? I'm looking for wood that would be readily available in indiana. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.