Thread: Cherry Bunk Bed

Cherry Bunk Bed

Hi,

I'm a "newbie". I've done a set of bookshelves and a desk for my office, but now I'm turning my sights toward a bunk bed for my daughter. The main part of my bunk bed will be 2x4 cherry wood. I picked up about 60 board feet of rough cut 8/4 wood and have been processing it. most of the boards are now 1.8"x3.8". I've jointed/planed the pieces for the header/footer of the bed. Of course at this point I realized, I don't have enough wood to use for the vertical rails of the top bunk bed. So I started wondering what wood I should use. I'm thinking the slats will be ~1"x2" or 3". I am thinking about using either curly maple, tiger wood, walnut or mahogany. I'm hoping to be able to get a nice grain of the wood (one reason for tiger wood, and I won't need a lot so the price might be justified), but wasn't sure how well it would work out with something only 2-3" wide and spaced about 4-6" apart. Comments or suggestions greatly appreciated. I'll try to post pictures as I have acquire them. I plan on using a shellac for the cherry, either neutral or amber depending on which my wife prefers.

Also, I plan to use to use these bolts (http://www.rockler.com/bed-rail-connection-system) to connect the header/footer to the spanning pieces with 1/2"x3" dowels and the header/footer will be built with 1/2"x3" dowels. Think that will be sufficient to support the bed? I based the design on a bunk bed I had as a child, and IIRC that was made out of pine so I assume cherry would be even stronger

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpgIMG_20141227_162433223.jpgIMG_20141227_162505529.jpgIMG_20141227_162513435.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I meant to upload an image of my plan for the header/footer, but accidentally attached a different image and couldn't determine how to delete it.IMG_20141227_162835861.jpg
    Last edited by Jason Dubrow; 01-11-2015 at 3:26 PM. Reason: only needed one copy of the image...