Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering my first laser

Considering my first laser

Hi All,
    I'm looking at a Trotec Speedy 100 30w.
    I've considered several models and I need a 24x12 bed.
    At this point I'm looking to engrave on wood, mostly branding and lettering.
    In the future, I could see cutting out 1/4" wood forms. The primary use would still be engraving though.

I'm looking for some advice as to what options I should add.
    Air assist - seems like a wise add on.
    Stand - I can make my own.
    Cutting table - how necessary is this for my needs?

I have a tight budget
    Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks!

I have no idea how important production is, but 30W is light for engraving wood. I'd recommend upgrading to 50W.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Hi Ross,
    the upgrade to 45w is 4K. I still have some negotiating to do, but that's a big increase.

You can get an 80 watt Rabbit Laser with a much larger bed for a whole lot less then what a trotec will cost. For what you plane on doing that might be a better machine.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    You can get an 80 watt Rabbit Laser with a much larger bed for a whole lot less then what a trotec will cost. For what you plane on doing that might be a better machine.
    Chinese machines in general are better at cutting than engraving. A Chinese machine is going to be about 4x slower than a Trotec machine.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

You can get a Rabbit (or any Chinese) laser for a lot less, but the Trotec has a much faster engraving speed (2-4 times as fast), although at 30W you may not get to make use of that speed - I have a Speedy 100 60W and when I engrave wood I usually use around 80% speed. The Trotec will also be able to engrave much higher details.

Air assist comes standard on all Trotecs I believe.
    The stands are an easy one to save money on. I would definitely recommend making your own.
    The cutting table you will need if you want to do any cutting. You could leave it for now if the budget is tight and get it later on when you start needing to do cutting.

Trotecs are the most expensive brand of laser out there. I'd recommend getting a demo on a Universal and also on an Epilog as they may fit your needs and you will be able to get a higher power laser for less money.

Take the same job along to each demo and get them to run it for you and compare the time taken and engraving quality on each.
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

Hi Andrew,
    I've gotten demos from epilog and trotec, I liked both. Still waiting on a uls demo.
    I'd prefer to get an American made laser, for a few reasons.

I had to rule out the Epilog for one reason. They don't take credit cards. I have a card with a great rate, much lower than the financing they provide. I even called Epilog directly, it's company policy for new machines. Pretty frustrating to rule them out for what I considered to be a ridiculous policy, oh well.

Air assist is optional on the Speedy 100, unfortunately. I'll check out a universal as well.
    Thanks all for the input, really helps!

as the owner of a 25W'er, I would HIGHLY suggest you get the absolute highest power you can afford. You find out time saved = more $$ later
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike vonBuelow View Post
    as the owner of a 25W'er, I would HIGHLY suggest you get the absolute highest power you can afford. You find out time saved = more $$ later
    Totally agree. I was planning on getting a 25W but ended up getting a 60W and am very glad I did.
    No matter what you get, you will always want more though.
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

True they are slower I'm not sure its 4 times but anyway maybe time isn't a big deal for David, if he's not in a fast paced production environment a few more min's per job versus thousands in savings might not be such a big deal.my 60 watt Rabbit engraves at 350mmps 20%pwr on BB.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 01-11-2015 at 7:14 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Holloway View Post
    Totally agree. I was planning on getting a 25W but ended up getting a 60W and am very glad I did.
    No matter what you get, you will always want more though.

Not if your engraving most people agree 80 watts is about as high as you want to go for engraving.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi David,

As a person waiting patiently for my Rabbit Laser to be delivered, I'm kind of interested in hearing your reasons for wanting an American made laser? I understand the basic concept behind it, but with the quality of support that Ray provides through Rabbit, that far outweighed any apprehension I had about it being a Chinese machine. I had a tight budget and was able to get more than I expected from the Rabbit machine and the added benefit of superior support with Ray.

Good luck!

Michele

Quote Originally Posted by david minnery View Post
    Hi Andrew,
    I've gotten demos from epilog and trotec, I liked both. Still waiting on a uls demo.
    I'd prefer to get an American made laser, for a few reasons.

I had to rule out the Epilog for one reason. They don't take credit cards. I have a card with a great rate, much lower than the financing they provide. I even called Epilog directly, it's company policy for new machines. Pretty frustrating to rule them out for what I considered to be a ridiculous policy, oh well.

Air assist is optional on the Speedy 100, unfortunately. I'll check out a universal as well.
    Thanks all for the input, really helps!
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    [/COLOR]Not if your engraving most people agree 80 watts is about as high as you want to go for engraving.
    Only on DC lasers Bert, it's due to the lowest power the tube can strike the arc at being too high on a DC pipe above 80 watts. RF will run down to below 1% if the software allows it quite happily.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Welch View Post
    Hi David,

As a person waiting patiently for my Rabbit Laser to be delivered, I'm kind of interested in hearing your reasons for wanting an American made laser?
    There are many many differences that span a very wide range of reasons. We could not do a great deal of work we do with a Chinese CO2 machine. There are vast differences in the world of raster engraving and delicate, detailed work, things that have made us who we are.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

gotcha Dave Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Only on DC lasers Bert, it's due to the lowest power the tube can strike the arc at being too high on a DC pipe above 80 watts. RF will run down to below 1% if the software allows it quite happily.

cheers

Dave
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander