Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few pics of one of my latest infill smoothers

A few pics of one of my latest infill smoothers

The blade is a bit under 2'' wide and bedded at 50 degrees. The sole is 7''. The wood is Chechen (Caribbean Rosewood). Would love to hear your thoughts.
    81 5.jpg81 13.jpg81 6.jpg81 1.jpg

Impressive, want to eventually add an infill to my plane fleet.

That's BRILLIANT !
    I am enjoying the small and larger dots from the ends of the pins in the side plates. Adds a lively playful touch.
    I was going to say the handle would be too small to grip but now I see it is more of a palm rest and you grip the plane with fingers extended like a regular small block plane . . . or am I wrong there ?

Very creative photo with the plane buried in shavings.

Over all A+
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

That thing is amazing, I can't fathom building such a nice tool. What's the screw in the blade top for? Did you use a lateral adjuster mechanism of some sort, or just mallet/hammer? Looks like you made some great shavings.

Blog Entries
    Interesting design.

Looks like it can do the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Cool. I really like the non traditional design. I think it shows a persons creativity rather than just a persons craftsmanship. Looks like you captured both creativity and craftsmanship in this plane. Great work.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    That thing is amazing, I can't fathom building such a nice tool. What's the screw in the blade top for? Did you use a lateral adjuster mechanism of some sort, or just mallet/hammer? Looks like you made some great shavings.
    Hi Allen. I am pretty sure the screw head near the top prevents the blade from sliding all the way through the mouth of the plane. Ideal safety feature.

That is one modern design infill plane I really like. I've seen some others that have less appeal.

That is a beautiful piece of work! And every time I look at it I keep wanting to pick it up and try it out - maybe its just me, but it just looks like it would feel so good in my hand. I also really like the small size, because that suits the small project I do.

Matteo, Im not in the market for an infill, but I am curious - have you considered selling a few of this design? If so, what would they sell for?

Very well done Sir!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Mateo, I really like your planes. I've been following for a while, and while I didn't like the look at first, it's the kind of thing that grows on you.

anyone interested in buying one just google "Lazarus Plane", prices are quite competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Cool. I really like the non traditional design. I think it shows a persons creativity rather than just a persons craftsmanship. Looks like you captured both creativity and craftsmanship in this plane. Great work.
    I agree with Leigh. Well done, Mateo! The craftsmanship is excellent, and the design is striking and original. It's great that people who want infills have a choice between traditional and modern designs.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Looks Sweet. Cool Photo with all the shavings

Beautiful work Mateo.

Dang! That's some real eye candy.

Blog Entries
    Beautifull! I'd be scared of nicking it in use.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"