Thread: Some imagination required

Some imagination required

Thought some of you may like to see my latest work, but some imagination is required. I'm doing a show this week here in Asheville. I had hoped to have a sink and vanity completed for the show but it didn't happen. So the first picture is of the glass sink that I just completed on Wednesday. The second is a table that you have seen before. To see what I was going to take to the show, imagine the sink setting on the table as the vanity with black tile rather than the lighter color that's on this table.

So all I was able to get to the show (in addition to my other stuff) is that sink and the other 2 in pictures 3 and 4. Oh well, maybe at the next show.

As always, I know it's not strickly wood, but working in 3 media makes it a little hard for me to stay strickly on the topic of wood.

Thanks for looking. Perry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perry,
    I like the sinks. I have seen this sort of sink in NYC at a penthouse. Very trendy. Do you blow glass in addition to working in wood, metal, tile, etc.? I would love to find a glass blower tenant for the new shop as it would go a ways to solving a heat/cost issue.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan, the glass work I do is called warm glass. It's not blown as you are thinking of, it's worked in a kiln similar to a pottery kiln. I work with regular "float" or window glass with crushed glass powder as the coloring agent. The sinks are 3 layers of 1/4" glass. Tiles are 3 layers of single strength window glass. In 2 days of the show, I've already gotten 4 galleries wanting to put in a dispaly. I'll be in Philly in 2 weeks doing a wholesale show and had not planned on taking the sinks, I'll starting to re think that.

The bowls are simply beautiful.
    And, I was struck by the wonderful sweep of the legs of the table.
    Very nice work and inspiring too. Wish I could do that. someday.........
    Z

Beautiful work, Perry. I'm betting there would be high-end designers and their customers lining up to buy one of your sinks. The coloring is awesome, particularly the blue one and the yellow one.

- Vaughn

Perry,
    I know of that show only because a glassblower from LI, NY, will be looking at our shop space. They are thinking of relocating here. Please feel free to give me a buzz when you are in town. I seem to recall that it is a big show, and seem to recall you mentioning it before. Good luck on your sales.

The place that I saw that sink was on a living room bar type of arrangement. It was always in view. Quite attractive. NY penthouses are not somewhere that I spend a lot of time (it is the only one I have ever been in) and they are much smaller than one might imagine!
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 07-23-2005 at 5:22 AM.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Perry---Fabulous work, I have never seen such sinks, but they are so interesting. The table is really nice as well, great design and execution.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Perry, Your art is fabulous. It's about 5 AM and your work definitely has me awake and alert. Looks as though the glass float for the bowl in pic #1 is similar to or same as the tiles in the table top. I assume this means that tiles are one of the three mediums you form?

Inspiring work. Thanks for sharing. - John W

Outstanding, Perry!! I was really interested when you talked about these sinks during our visit earlier in the year, but wow...those are gorgious!! I may just have to become a customer when we eventually get to our planned home addition...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...