Thread: Here's how my day's been

Here's how my day's been

Actually started last night at work when the cable TV went out. Nuthin worth watching anyway, but the noise keeps me company.

So I finsihed up the drawing for my dining chairs and went out this morning to start cutting parts. I'd been saving a 6/4, 14" wide, almost 60" long piece of very clear mesquite for a sofa table...but I saw the legs for 3 chairs in it...so I commenced to cutting it up. And it was punky in absolutely the worst place(s) on one set of legs. :upset: Punky is okay for a tabletop...not for chair legs. I won't mention that the figure was incredible either. And I don't use that word often.

So just about when I've accepted that and am over it, I got sidetracked and went to drill a hole to test out some threaded inserts I just got from McFeely's. The chuck was stuck about 1/3 of the way open. I could tighten it, but it wouldn't open anymore. Fiddle around for maybe 5 minutes and got it working, but I have no idea what the problem was. Drilled the 1/4" hole as directed and the insert just destroys the wood all around it when you screw it in. Minor problem...so I change to the next size bit and drill a hole...and the drill press won't turn off. The switch has been broken on my disc sander for some time now, so this will prod me to finally call Delta and order the parts.

So then I've got the big flush trim bit loaded in the router and I'm cutting out the chair legs...and I see a little screw on the floor under the router table. And I looks up underneath the top and see that it belongs to the gizmo that keeps the insert (Jointech lift) tight in the hole. So I put it back in the hole....and see the gizmo on the other side is loose, because one of the screws is gone and the other is about half unthreaded. Another minor annoyance.

After I got the legs all cut out, I went to run them through the Pmax 16/32 and noticed that the several week old belt has started coming apart. It's awfully hot in the shop...and I use that thing all the time...so I can see maybe that they're gonna break occasionally...but those of you that have the 16/32 know what a huge pain it is to change the belt. And of course, that it hurts like $30 worth, too.

So that was enough for me...I called it a day. Tomorrow will be better. I hope. I'm going to bed now...and wait for the telemarketers to ignore the 'do not call list'.

KC

Just for grins, you should try living with two young females for a month that don't speak English, other than "ice cream", "gum", "video" and "cafe"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well KC, I haven't run into any problems work wise or machine wise in the shop today. But the TEMPERATURE in the SHOP is about to melt me down today. It's just flat HOT!!

Back here editing my post. Guess I spoke, er, posted to soon. I just ran a 1" 18gauge gun nail half way into the tip of my index finger, nailing up some drawers on a cabinet job in my shop. OUCH!!!
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 07-22-2005 at 4:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Just for grins, you should try living with two young females for a month that don't speak English, other than "ice cream", "gum", "video" and "cafe"...
    I'd like to, but I don't think my wife would approve

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    You should try living with two young females that have a strong command of the English language and use it constantly 24 hours a day...even in their sleep!!!!

Sorry to hear about your probs KC....I haven't been in my shop for almost a week...That's one way to not have any problems! Not very fun though.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Well KC, I haven't run into any problems work wise or machine wise in the shop today. But the TEMPERATURE in the SHOP is about to melt me down today. It's just flat HOT!!

Back here editing my post. Guess I spoke, er, posted to soon. I just ran a 1" 18gauge gun nail half way into the tip of my index finger, nailing up some drawers on a cabinet job in my shop. OUCH!!!
    Isn't that why you keep your fingers at least the length of the fastener away from the gun tip? Been there, done that - once (not as badly, though).

Just one of those things.Some days you get the bear,and some days the bear gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    Just one of those things.Some days you get the bear,and some days the bear gets you.

And then there's the days the bear gets the garbage.

Silly me forgot to sprinkle the hotsauce under the lid. Oh well, all he had to peak his interest was what was left of the barbecued baby back ribs, and I can assure you, all that was left was bones. Next time wasabi ...

...Bob

KC,

I've had a few of those shop days. It's kinda like the copy machine at work. It works all the time except when you NEED it to work for a critical meeting you need to make copies for!!!

Been way too HOT here to KC. Clardy is further north than we are so he orta be a bit cooler than we are.!!

May your next day in the shop be a problem"less" day.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Isn't that why you keep your fingers at least the length of the fastener away from the gun tip? Been there, done that - once (not as badly, though).
    Lol. Thats the general rule Rob. But sometimes things happen. Like not paying attention!! I think this is the second time I've done this. I got the gun too close to the wood edge, and the nail came out the edge, then on to my finger, which was to close.