Thread: I have been very busy....gloating...

I have been very busy....gloating...

Good morning all.

The holidays have been a busy time for me. I gifted myself with a new-to-me Inca 510, which should be here early next week. I also got a line on an old Craftsman 113 series contractors saw. This I picked up, cleaned up and only had it long enough to confirm that it worked well and was still in fairly good nick.

The reason for the quick turnaround on the Craftsman you might ask? Well that is because I got a screaming....and I do mean screaming deal on a lightly used, hobbyist owned, and well cared for General International 50-185m1. $125 bought me 2hp/115-230 vac, cast iron table and solid cast iron wings, and General's licensed Biesemeyer home shop clone 52" fence and side table extension.
    The saw is in nearly new condition. It needs a little cleaning underneath, but that will get handled once the PALS get here and need to be installed. All parts are solid and in good condition.
    The only issue is that the arbor bearings will need to be replaced soon. They are beginning to give a little wimper of old age. This too will be handled before this little beauty is put into service.
    I went and looked her over yesterday, and didn't hesitate to take her home with me. Craigslist has once again proven a good source for finding a good deal...
    P.S.- I've written GI requesting info on replacement bearings. But I wonder if any of you might be able to point me to a good place to buy replacement bearings for this saw? It, for all the world, seems to be an exact duplicate for the Powermatic ts-64. Would anyone have any information on interchangeability between these two machines parts?

Yes, all very gloat worthy. Good on you. I've had an Inca J/P for over 25 years and we've built a lot of projects together. Thousands and thousands of BF over and through it with the only maintenance being a cleaning and greasing of the planetary gears every few years and replacement of one flat belt. Talk about a faithful servant.

As for the arbor bearing replacement, go over to www.owwm.org and ask those guys. They probably even have a reference article on how to do it, where to get new bearings, etc.

Oh, and for us ignorant folk, what are PALS?

John

PALS are an alignment aid that are mounted permanently on the saw. They allow fine adjustments rather than having to use the "loosen bolts and bump with rubber hammer and block of wood " method.

I too am a veteran of Inca ownership. Lovely machines. I am very much looking forward to getting these machines dialed in and put to use. Very exciting time here in Colorado.

Thanks for the lead on OWWM site. I had sent thought of them, as I figured they were much more interested in far more vintage machines. That is a knowledgeable bunch over there. Great resource. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    No Pictures.jpg
    Your post count is low so you may not have heard: NO PICS, DIDN'T HAPPEN.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 01-05-2015 at 1:19 PM.

Most bearings can be easily had from a bearing supply house. The bearings have numbers which allow cross referencing.
    Buy sealed bearings not shielded, if possible. They keep the dust out.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    No Pictures.jpg
    Your post count is low so you may not have heard: NO PICS, DIDN'T HAPPEN.
    I know, I know....lol....I hate no pics too. But for some reason...Im thinking because I m on an Android tablet, I am not able to post pics here. I have tried, of that you can be sure.

EDIT TO SAY: i have been searching through the technical issues threads, as well as looking elsewhere here on the sie for remidies to this problem. I have just now sent off a PM to Steve to see if I can find a work around for, what I am suspecting is a software issue on my end. As soon as I am able, I will try to post pics. The Inca and the saw are both photo worthy, so I am anxious to show them off as soon as I am able.
    Last edited by John McBride; 01-05-2015 at 3:36 PM. Reason: Lame excuse making

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Most bearings can be easily had from a bearing supply house. The bearings have numbers which allow cross referencing.
    Buy sealed bearings not shielded, if possible. They keep the dust out.
    Bill
    I will see what we have here in Denver, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John McBride View Post
    I know, I know....lol....I hate no pics too. But for some reason...Im thinking because I m on an Android tablet, I am not able to post pics here. I have tried, of that you can be sure.

EDIT TO SAY: i have been searching through the technical issues threads, as well as looking elsewhere here on the sie for remidies to this problem. I have just now sent off a PM to Steve to see if I can find a work around for, what I am suspecting is a software issue on my end. As soon as I am able, I will try to post pics. The Inca and the saw are both photo worthy, so I am anxious to show them off as soon as I am able.
    So you don't have access to an actual computer? Wow! What is this world coming to?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    So you don't have access to an actual computer? Wow! What is this world coming to?
    Correct. Iam using an Asus Transformer tablet. My Alianware laptop, portable printer,several thumbdrivers,and a solid state backup drive were stolen from our previous rental house about a week before we moved into our present/permanant house. Little crackheads broke in WHILE WE WERE SLEEPING!!!! Normally I sleep light, so I am am amazed I didnt hear them, and also a little miffed I didnt get the chance to rack a round in my Mossberg......oh well....Android it is for a bit I guess.

EDIT TO SAY;
    So Larry, Im just ALL kinds of sorry I am unable to lay my hands on a REAL computer. Between the new home purchase, and buying tools....its been a little low on my priority. Especially since I am currently migrated to the cloud for the time being. Most every other operation I need a computer for is manageable right here on this little tablet....all except for getting pictures uploaded to my posts here it would seem.
    Replacing the laptop is just a bit more expensive than say....a combo machine from Minimax or Felder for instance. At least the cost of replacing what I had would be.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to here about your break-in. My comment was tongue-in-cheek and I did not mean to offend you. Sorry. Have you looked into getting the ForeRunner app for your Android? I hear it works better than the browser app for this site.
    I have had terrible luck trying to post here from my android tablet. It seems that most times when I try to reply to a post from my tablet, it just goes into lala land and never gets posted.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Sorry to here about your break-in. My comment was tongue-in-cheek and I did not mean to offend you. Sorry. Have you looked into getting the ForeRunner app for your Android? I hear it works better than the browser app for this site.
    I have had terrible luck trying to post here from my android tablet. It seems that most times when I try to reply to a post from my tablet, it just goes into lala land and never gets posted.
    Larry,
    ZERO offense taken on my part. My reply was a bit tounge in cheek also. Seems I have not yet mastered the "typing for sarcastic effect" methodology yet. I apologize if you felt I was put out, I assure you I was not. I just wanted to shoot the equally good natured ribbing right back at ya......lol

i think I will need to look into the ForeRunner app. I have been saddled with this little for far too log now. I was just going to jail break it, and try to find a quality copy of the latest Droid OS (KitKat I think) either that, or some sort of Linux OS. Seems to me I read about a tablet friendly OS from one of the distros being available. Need to do some research it would seem.

in any event, lease accept my hearfelt apologies for my inept response to your post. I too ment nothing but some light ribbing.....
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-06-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John McBride View Post
    Larry,
    ZERO offense taken on my part. My reply was a bit tounge in cheek also. Seems I have not yet mastered the "typing for sarcastic effect" methodology yet. I apologize if you felt I was put out, I assure you I was not. I just wanted to shoot the equally good natured ribbing right back at ya......lol

i think I will need to look into the ForeRunner app. I have been saddled with this little for far too log now. I was just going to jail break it, and try to find a quality copy of the latest Droid OS (KitKat I think) either that, or some sort of Linux OS. Seems to me I read about a tablet friendly OS from one of the distros being available. Need to do some research it would seem.

in any event, lease accept my hearfelt apologies for my inept response to your post. I too ment nothing but some light ribbing.....
    No Problem. I think the latest version of Android is 5.something and it is called Lolipop. I have a Nexus 7 that gets upgraded every time a new version comes out. The Nexus 7 is my first android device, so I was not aware that most android devices were not OS upgradable.
    I don't have forerunner because I use the computer most of the time to post to SMC. I only sometimes use the tablet to read SMC. I have tried posting from the tablet, but about half the time my posts get lost somehow. I am sure it's me, but I have no ideas as to what I am doing wrong.

If you occasionally have access to someone elses computer you might consider making yourself a USB thumb drive with several portable apps on it, including foxfire or Chrome browser. Then you can set bookmarks and other customization of yours and it will be almost like you are using your own computer.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-06-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Larry,
    Most Droid machines these days are like yours, upgradeable. Asus stopped supporting this poor bastard child of a tablet about a year or two after its introduction IIRC. The only way to up grade the OS is to jailbreak the machine, and find a hacked copy of whatever the most recent OS is and go through a whole song and dance to load it. Serious PITA.

i digress,
    This has turned into a tech-talk thread....LOL....sorry about that. We now return you to your regularly scheduled TOOL talk....