Thread: Looking to buy my first CNC machine

Looking to buy my first CNC machine

I have been looking for a while now and was at a woodworking show this weekend and seen a Legacy Explorer CNC with a 25x50x3 table and a 3HP spindle motor that sounded like a good deal. I cannot find much information on the web about this machine and a search on this site shows nothing since 2011. Can anyone tell me if this is a good machine to get started with for the price. About 7200 including VCrave Pro. I looked at a ShopBot Buddy but it was almost double the price. Also what will the 3" Z axis limit me to? I am mainly going to use it for some signs and cutting wood to use for small furniture.

According to the Legacy website http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/explorer/ the machine is 24" x 24"
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

They also have a 25" x 50" it is listed in their catalog that I picked up yesterday as item "EXP 2,25x50 Description Explorer 2 with 25x50x3 inch work envelop"
    This is the one I was interested in

I saw the Explorer 24" x 24" at the Houston woodworking show. I was impressed with it and think its a good buy, good customer support too.

Mike, provide a link, I don't see anything with a 25"x50"x3" table listed on the Legacy website.
    The 3" Z would limit you to ~ 1.25 max material thickness for most normal operations. Depending on machine design it could be even less if you add a spoil board into the mix.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I believe that CAMaster has a machine at this price point that would probably be worth your time to investigate. Although price is always a consideration keep in mind that these machines make money and even if you are not looking for commercial work it is easy to attract small jobs periodically that will easily pay for the machine.

Bruce,

I emailed LEGACY asking why this was not on their website but in thire brochure they were passing out at the show, will let you know.

Keith,

The CAMaster Stringer 1 is close but it comes with a router vs a spindle motor and if you add that and the stand it would be a lot more. Please do not get me wrong if the Legacy is not what I should get then I will just save my pennies until I can afford what I should get. The problem is I do not know exactly what it is I should be looking for. Is a spindle motor that much of an issue over a router I was told that I would go through a router every couple of months if I used it very much etc.

Basically, I can only go by what I am told (and the salesman's product is always the best just ask him) and trying to figure out what a machine must have, should have and nice to have. Again I would like a machine that would do signs and the ability to cut out wood for crafts and some furniture to start with. I am asking here because I have been following this forum for a long time and it is not all about one brand which what I like.

Thanks

I have the Stinger 1 with spindle. The spindle certainly is nice, but not required. Router failures are rare, I know several that run their routers all day every day. They have to change the brushes about once a year (a 10 minute job) but that’s about it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My Stinger II has a 3.25 hp Porter Cable router. My first ShopBot had the same router motor so I have about eight years of CNC time using router motors. I also used a ShopBot in the sign shop at CNU for five years that had a spindle. Router motors will last longer then you think and when they are worn out...in the trash they go and you install a new one which only takes about five minutes. Compared to spindles or the cost to have a spindle rebuilt routers are dirt cheap. In a hobby situation a router motor would probably last you five years.

Spindles have less runout so they are preferred if you are doing more precision work than general routing.

Also a note on routers vs spindle. My machine has both, 2 routers and 1 spindle. I would like to change out the routers and add spindles in the future if nothing else just the noise issue.
    Routers scream spindles purr. And you can dial in spindle speed infinitely. Do your home work and save your penny's you won't be disappointed.

You can always use a Chinese water or air cooled spindle. I have installed and used 3 of them years ago and they are still running strong. I also have a hitachi router on one of my machines as well. I wouldnever go back to using a router again. The water cooled spindles I used are powerful at low rpms, whisper quiet and do not throw dust all around my shops. For a little more than you would pay for a router the spindles are an excellent buy.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

12. Your machine should be trustworthy, and quality achievements. Parts accessible. Simple to continue running. Super simple to utilize.

We have an explorer and it is a very good machine. A VERY robust starter machine