Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathe work area setup

Lathe work area setup

As I get more into turning I find that my tools and whatnots far exceed the capacity of the one shelf I currently have over my lathe. I'm thinking about repositioning it perpendicular to the wall instead of against it, but then I lose the ability to have everything right there at eye level. Could y'all offer some tips for how to organize this area of my shop and maybe post some pics? Thanks in advance!

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post. I bored a several foot length of X4 oak piece I had to hold my chisels, plus various centers, chucks -- accessories I most frequently use. I used various sizes of Forstner bits to bore appropriately sized holes. In addition, I use a rolling 5-drawer Craftsman hobby cart. I use it to organize lathe accessories -- calipers, tool rests, chuck jaws, etc. The sides are punched like pegboard, so I hang a bunch of stuff from the sides. Best of all, I roll it at an angle to my lathe, so it is easy to access, but can be rolled against the wall and out of the way when I'm not using the lathe.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 01-03-2015 at 10:31 PM.

when I go see demostrations, most demostrators just have a table behind them with tools, chucks, calipers, etc on it.......now wheather you need anything more elebrate than that or not is up to you, but that flat area is most helpful

My Jet 1642 lathe is in the center of the shop area, I can easily walk all the way around it. The table saw is about 4' behind it.

I find that for any given project I will only use a few tools. I have a 2x10 shelf below the lathe bed mounted on abracket in the leg castings and put the tools I will use there. Always have the parting tools and whatever gouges, scrapers, and skews I expect to use. I have a table behind me with tool racks on either end and a rolling rack that has bowl gouges on one slanted side and hollowing tools on the other. Sanding disks are stuck in the pegboard on the gouge side. Largers items such as the steady rest are on shelves between the two slanted faces. The table has several drawers - the top one being divided and holding spur centers, parts for the live center, jacobs chuck, etc and the next drawer has the buffing wheels and extra tool rests. Sand paper (sheets) are in a rack on the table, extra disks in a rolling tool cart at one end of the table.

There is a post at the headstock end that brings power to the lathe and has pegs for the chucks and holds the vacuum system. A 4' power strip is mounted to the back edge of the shelf below the lathe.

I'd take pictures, but then I'd have to clean up some first.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    My Jet 1642 lathe is in the center of the shop area, I can easily walk all the way around it. The table saw is about 4' behind it.

I'd take pictures, but then I'd have to clean up some first.
    And that's why I hadn't asked before now. Can't expect y'all to do it with the condition mine is in

It may or may not give you some ideas but it works well for me. Located behind the lathe, since mine is 16" turning max, doors would clear the largest turning by about 3".
    I went with double doors (outer doors mounted to inner doors).
    Cabinet about 5' long total, 30" high, about 14" deep with both door closed. If you went with single door then about 10" deep.
    Individual doors are 24X30H; outer doors 3.5" deep, inner doors 5.5" deep, shelves 5.5 deep.
    By utilizing deep doors and pegboard in the center, each side would be 2.5+" deep or deep enough for almost any tool. Single doors would give you 8 linear feet of storage (mine has 16 linear feet using double doors).
    Except for a few finishing items there is never a need to reach over the headstock while spinning (I pull down the finishing items first). Any item stored there would require stopping the lathe to use anyway.
    Some minor items..
    Pull down shade on the left (over headstock) to protect items from water or finish. Also provides a nice backdrop for watching the shadow edge on some items. Also keep chips out of the shelf area on the left.
    Gooseneck spot mounted in center allow plenty of light for the interior or an item or to bring down parallel to check for sanding lines or other flaws prior to applying finish.
    Some folks don't like magnetic strips but they do not bother me. You can get good pegboard spring clips for the tools down to about 1/8" which will hold nicely and last a lifetime.
    Two screwdrive type holders on one of the doors hold up to 10 drive center, drill chucks, etc.
    I can reach any item with one step max from the center of the lathe.
    One pic outer doors open, inner doors closed (of course there is storage on the outside of the outer doors also).
    One pic both doors open and cabinet interior.
    Typically the right outside inner door (whew) does not have all those tools. I usually keep that door closed during turning and it holds only the chisels and tools needed for that turning, probably six at the very most. Closed also keep chips out of the shelf area on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Very nice set-up Michael.

A couple of considerations to include in your set up.
    Reaching over the Lathe when turning is generally not a good idea.
    Placing your turning tools at either end of the Lathe makes sense for easy reach.
    The shelf behind the Lathe can be good for Centres, Chucks and attachments that will only be reached for when the Lathe is turned OFF.
    A mobile cart for the turning tools seems to be the preferred solution in a tight shop because it can be rolled back against a wall when not in use.
    Just a few thoughts.
    Peter F.

Here is the picture of the tool holder I made from a 4X4 chunk of oak. Someone gave me the wood, and after a few years of not knowing what to do with it, I decided a tool holder for the lathe was a good use. Also pictured is my Craftsman rolling cart. The top has a sliding lid, so I store a number of pen blanks in the compartments. I'd probably prefer a solid top, and maybe mount my grinder on it, but it works out pretty well as-is. I have two scroll chucks and about 10 sets of jaws, and a Beall collet chuck and 6 collets, so the bottom drawer is devoted to chucks. Sanding supplies, measuring tools, pen bushings, and lots of miscellaneous stuff is stored in the cart. The pegboard-style sides have a variety of other tools hanging for easy access.

I like the idea of a storage cabinet on the wall and may have to build one at some point. The oak block is behind my lathe bed extension. Like others have mentioned, you do not want to be reaching over a spinning lathe to grab something. Worst case I reach over the tailstock. I do not do really long spindles but to turn tool handles or pepper mills, you just do not have adequate distance between centers on a typical midi lathe, by the time you add a drill chuck and drill bit into your tailstock for boring a spindle, or tool handle, pepper mill, etc.

lathe-toolholder.jpglathe-cart.jpg

[QUOTE=Lee Reep;2356453]Here is the picture of the tool holder I made from a 4X4 chunk of oak. Someone gave me the wood, and after a few years of not knowing what to do with it, I decided a tool holder for the lathe was a good use. Also pictured is my Craftsman rolling cart. The top has a sliding lid, so I store a number of pen blanks in the compartments. I'd probably prefer a solid top, and maybe mount my grinder on it, but it works out pretty well as-is. I have two scroll chucks and about 10 sets of jaws, and a Beall collet chuck and 6 collets, so the bottom drawer is devoted to chucks. Sanding supplies, measuring tools, pen bushings, and lots of miscellaneous stuff is stored in the cart. The pegboard-style sides have a variety of other tools hanging for easy access. I like the idea of a storage cabinet on the wall and may have to build one at some point. The oak block is behind my lathe bed extension. Like others have mentioned, you do not want to be reaching over a spinning lathe to grab something. Worst case I reach over the tailstock. I do not do really long spindles but to turn tool handles or pepper mills, you just do not have adequate distance between centers on a typical midi lathe, by the time you add a drill chuck and drill bit into your tailstock for boring a spindle, or tool handle, pepper mill, etc.Lee,How long have you been storing a lot of your lathe accessories in a tool storage cart? Do you like doing it that way or would you prefer some other method? Reason I ask is that I've recently switched from a 10-shelf bookcase type unit as one part of my lathe tool accessory storage to the red Harbor Freight 5-drawer tool cart. I liked the shelf deal because you turn around and everything is there in plain site and you just grab what you need. Easy and convenient but dust does settle and needs cleaning from time to time. Jury still out for me because I've only been using this cart/drawer system for a couple weeks. Not quite as convenient but stuff does stay cleaner and can keep things organized by category a little better.

Lee,Couldn't edit last post so here goes. How long have you been storing a lot of your lathe accessories in a tool storage cart? Do you like doing it that way or would you prefer some other method? Reason I ask is that I've recently switched from a 10-shelf bookcase type unit as one part of my lathe tool accessory storage to the red Harbor Freight 5-drawer tool cart. I liked the shelf deal because you turn around and everything is there in plain site and you just grab what you need. Easy and convenient but dust does settle and needs cleaning from time to time. Jury still out for me because I've only been using this cart/drawer system for a couple weeks. Not quite as convenient but stuff does stay cleaner and can keep things organized by category a little better. Dave

Here are some pics from my shop. I use the desk by the lathe to also hold the tailstock when I'm working off the end of the lathe. Plastic shelves hold my supply of cut wood, the rest sits outside in longer lengths until I'm ready for it. The closet behind the bandsaw and grinder houses the dust collector and compressor. Hope it gives you some ideas.

IMG_0604-001.JPG IMG_0605-001.JPG IMG_0606-001.JPG IMG_0607-001.JPG

Finished the project I was working on and am getting ready to go to the Florida Symposium tommorrow so I did some cleanup and tool a few pictures:
    KIMG0050.jpgKIMG0051.jpgKIMG0052.jpgKIMG0049.jpg
    First image is right side of workbench behind me when turning - spindle tools.
    Second shows the movable cart with bowl gouges, you can see the TS extension table which folds down.
    The third is the other side of the cart with hollowing tools, you can see the power strip on the shelf below the lathe bed.
    The last is the workbench showing the other tool rack and drawers. Only the top drawer is that organized. There are anti-fatigue mats between the lathe and the workbench.

I know most people do not have as much room around their lathe. I have wire racks behind the workbench that hold blanks and a plastic shelf unit that holds finishing supplies. My micro-motor tool and wood burner are on a separate workbench where I can sit.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks for the tips and pics guys! Keep 'em coming!

I do have some basic ideas in mind for what I want, but I'd love to see more pics. I don't mind admitting that I'm going to shamelessly steal all the ideas I can I hope to get started on the new setup maybe late spring. I have room and I have lumber, but I need to sell a few pieces to pay for hardware and the shop is awful cold right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    Thanks for the tips and pics guys! Keep 'em coming!

Here is what I do. 5 gallon bucket with PVC pipe.
    I put a cap on the end, and a coupler on the top so they even out. Tape the PVC together and fill with expanding foam.
    Everything in my shop has to move, and the other benefit is when I do demos, I just pack along the bucket and have most of my tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images