Thread: soft lid closers

Question soft lid closers

looking for lid closures for a blanket chest.i found a thread on the forum about a year ago where someone recommended a manufacturer I think in Indiana.they are the same style rockler and lowes sell.they are made in America I liked them better than the overseas version.but I cant find the sight if anyone knows it would be much appreciated.happy new year

Sugatsune has some NSDX-20. Not sure if they are what your looking for.

Fine Woodworking had an article on the G&G blanket chest last month or two, and they use torsion hinges. Am not sure how to cut and paste link. Those are what I will use on the chest, cause they are supposed to support the lid very well (keep it open). They are rated according to the weight of the lid.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

IMG_6755-001.JPGLee Valley , soft close stay, used 2 on the last NYW plan blanket box. Lighter lids you can get away with one stay. Soft close is a cool feature!!
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...740,43745&ap=1
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 01-05-2015 at 5:52 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972

Without a doubt, use these. Great hinges that work. I just built my grandson a toy box and used them. Don't let the price scare you, all you need are the hinges no other things to support the lid.

http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=torsion%20hinges

Red
    RED

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Without a doubt, use these. Great hinges that work. I just built my grandson a toy box and used them. Don't let the price scare you, all you need are the hinges no other things to support the lid.

Red
    +1 on these. I used them on the blanket chest I built.

Lee Valley also has these, at least in Canada.

Red
    Better have a small lid or deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Better have a small lid or deep pockets.
    I'm missing what you're saying.

Red
    RED

I'm missing what you're saying.

Red
    Just a pun that a decent size blanket chest would take 4 hinges to the tune of $100+ dollars. A pricey option. A hardwood lid that may include some battens would be even more. For that reason, small lids would be optimal or deep pockets to pay for 4-5 hinges at $30 a pop.

I have used the Rockler torsion hinges and really like them. They are not cheap and you use Rockler's calculator to determine the size and number of hinges needed. The chest I have at home has a 15" by 40", 3/4" Birdseye top reinforced with three 3/4 by 1 3/4" battens. I use two Rockler hinges and they keep the lid up at any position. Don't remember what I paid for them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Just a pun that a decent size blanket chest would take 4 hinges to the tune of $100+ dollars. A pricey option. A hardwood lid that may include some battens would be even more. For that reason, small lids would be optimal or deep pockets to pay for 4-5 hinges at $30 a pop.

I made a "decent" sized blanket chest but don't remember exact size right now. Solid cherry top only reguired 2 hinges per Rockler's calculator. I would guess the lid was in the nieghborhood of 2'x3'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I made a "decent" sized blanket chest but don't remember exact size right now. Solid cherry top only reguired 2 hinges per Rockler's calculator. I would guess the lid was in the nieghborhood of 2'x3'.
    When I initially replied the sample lid I entered into the calculator came up with a combination of hinges for the single lid (more than a pair). Trying it just now the instant you take a 24" lid much beyond 20 pounds it fails and says torsion hinges not recommended. Below that it gives combination options but all for two hinges only which makes sense.

I was referring to something like a large blanket chest which may have an applied moulding and battens. The slab alone may weigh 16-20 lbs in oak for instance, plus battens, and a trivial amount for hardware. A 24" x 40" 4/4 oak lid is likely going to be around 20 lbs.

Two hinges at 60 bucks isnt bad at all but when it came up with 4 thats seemed to be getting a bit pricey though it doesnt look to be an option.

Whats odd is it doesnt call out a length measure in the calculator but I supposed the lid weight accounts for that.

+1 on Bryan Cowling's rec of Soft Down closer.

The toy box I did took two 60 inch pound hinges. I bought the double pack for $50. It took no more than 10 minutes to install the top to the box and was done. Very easy and they do hold the lid in any position you place it.

Just to note... the torsion hinge calculator on Rockler's site said I also needed to add 1 40(?) inch pound hinge along with the other two 60's. This would have been way over kill. I installed the two 60's and that was more than enough. I would have had trouble opening the lid with all three hinges let alone my grandson not being able to.

Red
    RED