Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPS Dimensional Weight Pricing

UPS Dimensional Weight Pricing

I see UPS has introduced Dimensional weight pricing for 2015. They say to reduce excessive packing. The truth is UPS expects rates to raise approx 4.9%.

Shipping is already an issue for most small businessmen. More incentive to work smarter.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I cut out a small wood Christmas tree and a base to stand it in, It was one with slots in the center to slide it together , small like 10" tall 3mm thick and a 6 x 4x 1" base. I cut 2 pieces of cardboard and tape in the tree and base and taped the cardboard on top, the whole thing was like 11x6 x1.5 inches toop to PO $9.64 I said are you kidding me he said it weighed 1# 2 oz yep $9.64 i was sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I see UPS has introduced Dimensional weight pricing for 2015. They say to reduce excessive packing. The truth is UPS expects rates to raise approx 4.9%.

Shipping is already an issue for most small businessmen. More incentive to work smarter.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I've logged this info before, but we were shipping some signs to customers and UPS wanted something like $40 something dollars for it. I brought it back to the shop because I needed to figure something else out. An employee said "Try FedEx, they are a lot cheaper". I took it to FedEx and it was like $17-18. I signed up for an account, and we've used them for the last 18 months or so and I am thrilled with them and their pricing.

I shipped a 1 lb package 200 miles about 2 weeks ago and it was just over $6.00 and it got there the next day.

It might be worth taking a look at.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Problem is I'm rural and closest fedx is 20 miles away, and I ship so little not really worth getting an account
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Most of my outgoing stuff is USPS. I am more worried about my supplies. Suppliers like JDS don't give you a choice on shipping.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I have seen some clever people, mostly Ebay sellers who do not use boxes but wrap the parcel in cardboard with no defined edge to measure to. I don't know if they get it any cheaper but some people will try anything to save 10c.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Due to the UPS rate increases announced for 2015 and particularly those related to residential shipments I have signed up with stamps.com to print my own postage and will convert a certain category of shipments to USPS for 2015. My largest customer dictates that I use UPS for their shipments and I must use WorldShip as many packages go to Canada. I have to pay UPS for that service but I am able to pass it on.

I used to use FedEx but they are grossly incompetent when it comes to out of the country shipments.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I used to use FedEx but they are grossly incompetent when it comes to out of the country shipments.
    I can relate (and agree) with that Mike! We mailed a package to another country just before Christmas. Shipping was more than the value of the package, but none the less, it had to be done. The person getting the package was contacted by FedEx in their country, telling them it was an additional shipping fee that needed to be paid. Not the duties, an additional shipping fee. They emailed him 3 times and asked him what was in it and what the value was, despite the fact it's on the label. He contacted me about the extra fees, I call FedEx here, they put a trace agent on it, tell me there's no additional shipping and they don't know what I'm talking about. I get the email from the Fedex person in that country, telling him it's additional SHIPPING fee's. I have the FedEx employee emails telling him it's additional shipping. FedEx in the USA says "that's not true, there is no additional shipping and we see no record of anyone being asked for additional shipping fees". I explain repeatedly that I have the email proof, directly from FedEx. They tell me "Nope, there's no fees and we are now showing the package has been released from Customs and it's out for Delivery".

Someone, somewhere, is scamming people for extra cash. Not a single person would listen to me or was even remotely interested in seeing a copy of the email or wanting to know the employee name of the person asking for more money.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Unless this is something totally new, UPS has had dimensional rates forever. I ship large plywood boxes almost every day and some of the boxes are sized to fit specific dimensions so that UPS will ship them by weight and not by size.

First I am mystified by why this was moved? I never go to this area of Sawmill Creek and this pertains directly to the Engraving forum and shipping. What harm would be done by leaving it as is?

Anyway, you don't need Stamps dot Com you can do that all on the USPS website and on the UPS website. Those of us who use PayPal can use that for shipping.

When you go to the franchise, the UPS Store they charge you over and above the standard UPS depot charge.

I have an account online, I do the weighing at home, pack at home and print the label, pay online and drop off at Staples. You can not have any Wood or plywood showing or they will add on an extra charge.

Fed Ex has delivered my packages on the other side of town and not have a clue its at the wrong place.

UPS has always been higher than anyone else. I try to use the USPS Flat rate service whenever I can.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-31-2014 at 8:33 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Unless this is something totally new, UPS has had dimensional rates forever. I ship large plywood boxes almost every day and some of the boxes are sized to fit specific dimensions so that UPS will ship them by weight and not by size.
    I know they used to have an oversize rate (I think it was 108" length + girth) but are they now changing rates for smaller sized packages?

I thought UPS already did this? I know if you have a package over a certain dimension and weight they won't take it even if it fits within their maximum dimensions and weight.

The corporate line about doing this to reduce over packing is a bunch of . It is to improve the UPS bottom line plain and simple. All of the shipping companies treat packages so poorly they have to have lots of packing material to survive the trip. If you buy insurance and UPS claims you didn't pack it well enough they just deny any damage claims. Of course, how is one to know if your packing meets their specs?
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-31-2014 at 2:13 PM.

When gas prices shot through the roof, UPS charged a fuel surcharge.

Well, where is my fuel rebate?

And they've been taking dimensions into account for a while now, but maybe they are going to charge even MORE dimensionally?

I have been using a lot of FedEx ground lately, very happy with the service and pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I cut out a small wood Christmas tree and a base to stand it in, It was one with slots in the center to slide it together , small like 10" tall 3mm thick and a 6 x 4x 1" base. I cut 2 pieces of cardboard and tape in the tree and base and taped the cardboard on top, the whole thing was like 11x6 x1.5 inches toop to PO $9.64 I said are you kidding me he said it weighed 1# 2 oz yep $9.64 i was sick
    Huh? That sounds like Priority Mail pricing. I had a 1.5lb 12x14x3 package (standard USPS box size) go out mid-December for $10.15, but that included insurance...got to Montana in two days. (Not to mention that the boxes are free.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

In Canada, UPS and Canada Post, too, have used dimensional pricing for years. The Canada Post practice was the subject of a very long law suit, in fact.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON