Thread: Second panel saw finished

Second panel saw finished

I recently made a 24" rip panel saw here
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ild&highlight=

I had enough steel left for another 24" saw and was originally thinking of making a duplicate crosscut saw. Instead I decided to make a short 20" crosscut panel saw and try something other than the London pattern handle.

Everything was done pretty much as I did in the other thread, but since I made it 8TPI, it was easy enough to just file the teeth instead of rough cutting them with the wet saw like I did with the rip saw.
    The handle is Black Walnut that I "borrowed" from a board that my wife picked for some picture frames. I figure she would not miss a little 8" section of her board, and I'll probably use the saw when I make her frames anyhow.

100_3184.jpg100_3190.jpg100_3180.jpg100_3181.jpg

Great looking saw! And what great timing. I just logged in to the Creek to see if I could get some inspiration and I see your great looking saw! I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll create another post with saw questions.
    The Plane Anarchist

Looks nice. My compliments.

Very nice looking panel saw Jeff. My compliments on the shape and finish of the handle.

All the very best for 2015.

regards; Stewie.

Well done.

Any 'test drive' yet?

I'm always keen to see the row of cutline
    on the endgrain - it's the diagnostic for
    a finely made saw.

Clean and even - well sharpened.
    Crowdes and ragged - my saw sharpening technique needs work.

Thanks Leigh,

I have always enjoyed looking at the infill planes you have made, so looking forward to seeing some saws as well.

Thanks all,

Had a chance to use all of my saws the last couple of days as I make my wife some arts and crafts style frames.
    The crosscut works well, though I have to admit, while I was ripping the long pieces for frames, I came to really appreciate having the rip saw as compared to what I was using before. I usually dread long rip cuts, but now it is a little more enjoyable.

Slowly, (and not so surely) I have been building up various tools over the last few years, and am finally getting to the point that I don't have to compromise so much when I do decide to make something.