Thread: Jet Oscillating Edge Sander Model OES-80CS, Anyone Have One?

Jet Oscillating Edge Sander Model OES-80CS, Anyone Have One?

I'm looking at one of these and would like some real owner feedback on them. I don't have much room or $, so this one looks pretty good. I saw the Griz counterpart and it looks like a nice machine with spindles and all, however the spindles don't oscillate. Since I already have an older PC Portable Oscillating spindle sander that I switch out with my router in the router table, I'm OK losing the fixed spindle sander.
    Anyways feedback would be nice.

Got one this year.
    For what I build, it's was a great investment.

I have this sander. I was disappointed in the grind/finish of the table. It looks like a 3 year old took to it with an angle grinder. Does it hurt the operation? No, it is just not the quality of my Grizzly tools. The table could use a third hand to adjust but I took care of that.

That being said it works very well and I use it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by John R Green View Post
    Got one this year.
    For what I build, it's was a great investment.
    John, any complaints with the machine or "wish I would haves"?

Blog Entries
    I also have it and echo Bill's observation. The table adjustment is very basic and I believe Bill has a mod for that. The knobs are also not very ergonomic and can be actually painful to use during paper changes. The belt moves quite fast (3900 FPM versus 3150 on the Griz) . All told I wish I would have spent half again as much and gone with the Grizzly G0563. Better table controls, slower belt speed so less potential for burning. Has a spindle sanding attachment whereas to contour sand on the Jet you have to disable the dust shroud, etc. Its just a better thought out machine. All that being said, I enjoy the Jet, got it for a good price on sale and it does what it is supposed to. I would not want to be without it. I'm just saying that if I were to do it again . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Does it come on a pallet, assembled or in a box, assemble required? If I bought it locally, could I get it home in the back of a Honda Pilot? My Pilot back takes 48"!wide boards.

It comes in a box disassembled. I don't remember much about it because I have a truck.

use mine all the time for my cabinet shop works good

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    It comes in a box disassembled. I don't remember much about it because I have a truck.
    So it comes in a box, not on a pallet? If the box was less than 48"x48", it should fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    So it comes in a box, not on a pallet? If the box was less than 48"x48", it should fit.
    CPO jet says boxes is 55 by 28 by 23

Oscillating feature on this type of sander is not all that important.
    IMO

No complaints about machine
    Came in a box
    Assembled it without problems
    Does what I need done in short amount of time
    Like going from a hand held circular saw to a table saw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Oscillating feature on this type of sander is not all that important.
    IMO
    The great thing about the forum is the differences of opinion and I will add a differing one ;-) I went to an oscillating machine on purpose to reduce the repetitive scratch pattern and reduce the effort to get to the next stage in surface prep. The importance of this feature will vary with what you use the machine for specifically and what you do in general.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    CPO jet says boxes is 55 by 28 by 23
    Perfect...thanks. Should fit no prob.