Thread: Problem with SWAG Portaband Table

Problem with SWAG Portaband Table

Just a heads up to anyone considering the SWAG Portaband Table I mentioned here. I was unable to get a decent fit with the Incra V27 miter gauge (purchased through SWAG as being compatible with their table) in the slots on the table. Following Incra's instructions I cranked down hard on the adjusters and the bar still didn't fit the slot. Cranked down even harder, so hard I cammed out three of the hex bolt adjusters and broke the hex wrench and there was still a lot of slop. I talked to Patrick at SWAG and he said he would call me back, but never did. I called again today. Patrick said that they had looked at it after I called and found the slots in this batch of tables (500) were too wide and they had already talked to their supplier about it. My table slots measured 0.78" to 0.79". Incra's gauge is designed to fit 0.74" to 0.76". He said that if you rotate the nylon adjuster ring so the slot in the ring is perpendicular to the bar and facing outward, you can crank it down enough to get a snug enough fit. I asked if he would send me a table that was within specs and he said he didn't have any because the entire batch is messed up. He was sorry I ruined my adjusters but wouldn't send a new miter gauge. This info is too late for me, I already screwed up my gauge, but might help others. Incidentally, replacement adjuster sets from Indra are about twelve bucks. I hope I can get those bolts out.

That begs the question: Why pawn off a bad batch of tables on your customers rather than sending them back to the supplier.

Send the mess back to him and call your cc company and open a case and get a refund. Let him deal with his tables. I have that saw and thought of buying a table. Thanks for the heads up.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Send the mess back to him and call your cc company and open a case and get a refund. Let him deal with his tables. I have that saw and thought of buying a table. Thanks for the heads up.
    Thanks for the thought, Mike. I wish it were this simple. I like the table. The slots on this batch were just CNC'd out of spec. Bear in mind that my problem is with the V3.0 table, not the V4.0. I have since received the replacement adjusters from Incra and tried again using the SWAG recommended fix. Still sloppy. Someone on another forum suggested heating the nylon washers, so I fired up the heat gun and got a little more expansion, but still too loose for me. Finally, I added a layer of foil faced self adhesive duct tape and that did the trick!

In SWAG's defense, they did PM me on another site with an offer of a full refund, but I don't want a refund. I want a table that lives up to SWAG's reputation. I'm sorry they are stuck with these tables, but I shouldn't have to mickey mouse the miter gauge they sold me to make up for it. If you don't need a miter gauge, or are willing to make your own, or fiddle with the Incra to make it work, then give it a go--slots aside, it's decent for the price.