Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever see something that just makes you want to quit?

Ever see something that just makes you want to quit?

I did on Saturday. Never happened before. Not that I'll quit making furniture or anything, but it takes something out of it to recognize that I will never make anything this good.

c.1690 Dutch cabinet. Ebony, tortoiseshell, ivory, and floral marquetry. My pictures are lame given the no-flash rule, but they give you the idea.

I think I'll go drown my sadness in some gin in honor of the brilliant Dutch cabinetmaker(s) who made this.

20141227_113442.jpg20141227_111404.jpg20141227_111745.jpg
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

What specifically do you think you could never match? The techniques, the skill, the design, the execution? If it is just general goodness, it seems to me you can keep hope alive that you will make your own masterpiece. In my experience, Impressive skill does not always equal great art. This piece does look nice.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

I wonder if it was one person who did that?

Blog Entries
    It likely took more than a couple of afternoons in the shop to make that one.

Not sure if anyone around here would want such a bold statement in their home.

Styles come and go, some go away forever. Today many people would only want this piece if it was 'distressed.'

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Fine workmanship to be sure, but not to my taste. So while I can admire the skill it took to execute, it has no impact on my motivation.

If you could get the materials we have confidence you could do it....even if that particular wall paper is discontinued!
    But seriously,I see that piece an an excellent example of personal indulgence. Designed to be seen close up and caressed as you reach for your socks and underwear, but I think that
    viewed from accross the room there are more handsome examples of furniture. More to your question ,the carving of Samuel McIntire
    to me always stands well above all his copiers .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 12-30-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Fine workmanship to be certain. Not to my taste either by ornamentation or the overall shape. Where is the piece Zach? If I had to guess, I would put the date in the mid to late 1600s??

Personally I prefer the Baroque and some of the less ornamented and carved Rococco styles where the interplay of positive and negative space provides the style and interest.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    Fine workmanship to be sure, but not to my taste. So while I can admire the skill it took to execute, it has no impact on my motivation.
    I don't think I could have said it better. I am the type of guy who is always very impressed with the excellent execution of building furniture for use in our everyday lives. When I see one of you fine lads build something with your own two hands, as simple or extravagant as it may be, it always gives me hope that craftsmanship and pride in execution will not die with my generation. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a young man in his twenty's make a coffee table or kitchen table for his new family.

I think the piece shown above took tremendous amount of skill in execution with the marquetry, but I myself would never invest the time it took to perfect that craft. I find that style of furniture to be gawdy, and am more impressed with a simple bookmatched table of two slabs of walnut with live edges....something found and used in my own home every day.

And Zach, I've seen your work, and you've got nothing to worry about. Just keep on keepin' on.

Jeff

Reminds me of a castle, maybe it was made for a King?

When I see something like this, I get about the same feeling as when I see one of the grand cathedrals somewhere in Europe, - it was all built whne Labour was free - at least almost. Craftsmen worked for the penny, or just for the food. Of course you can build something like that setup, but how much time do you have????
    Imagining building something like the Notre Dame of Paris, or the Cologne cathedral at todays cost Level.... practically possible, but economically totally impossible...

Thanks everyone. I know this type of work isn't everyone's idea of good taste, but for me this is the top of the craft. I'd rather have this in my house than a lot of very popular, more modern styles. And the part about me quitting obviously isn't going to happen, I just couldn't think of a better way to express my absolute admiration for the piece. But... I expect I'll give something like this a go before I'm done. I was just investigating tortoiseshell veneer options... they make a decent looking substitute for guitars but I worry that the pattern would be too consistent to look right when sheet after sheet are laid down together. Too uniform and fake looking, I fear.

By the way, this piece is in the Toledo Museum of Art.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I have to agree, some serious talent. I think it would out of place in my house.

Kinda the way I feel when I see Patrick Edwards work. Of course I know it takes a lifetime to get to that level and you can't wait till you're old to start. That was probably the pinnacle of that guy's career.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

A woodworking teacher I had gave me some advice when I first tackled a complex project. He said that every project can be broken down into individual small steps. And if you can do each small step, or learn how to do that step, you can do a very complex piece. A complex piece often just has a lot of steps but if you take them one at a time, you'll complete the project.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I wonder if it was one person who did that?
    Not a chance. You would starve, trying to make something like this on your own.
    Even the great portrait painters of the day had assistants.

http://www.history.org/media/podcast...binetmaker.cfm