Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

1. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    What does "3 HP" mean? How might it compare the "3 HP" of other brands? More? Less? All sorts of claims get made for horsepower with power tools, but the same number of horsepower doesn't always mean the same useful power. Various measurements and criteria are used. Where does Grizzly fit?
    I am not sure that the purchaser can evaluate that accurately before the purchase Robert. I am sure it would take specialized testing equipment, properly operated, to test to accurately assess this measurement of horsepower. I am not sure what lathe you have, but lets just say its a PM 3520b,.....can you accurately assess the questions you ask about the G0766. On your lathe.........could you have done so, before you purchased it, or do you have the equipment to do so?

Perhaps my thinking is way off base here, ......perhaps there is some way to take specs and translate technical data and make an apples to apples comparison, but that is beyond my pay grade.........if you have that sort of information, .......we would all welcome your guidance on how to make those proper comparisons!

These questions are not meant in a sarcastic way at all......I really would love to be able to accurately take technical data and make a good judgement, if you know how, and can share that info, I would appreciate it, very much!

The only other thing that I know to do at this point is to take my previous experience with my current Grizzly lathe, and the collective experiences of several owners of the G0733, and make an educated guess on what is being offered by Grizzly in the G0766. I know Powermatic has the 3520b, 2 hp and the 4224 with 3 hp, so from what I have seen posted by owners, there is a significant improvement in power in their two models, so I would think the same thing would probably hold true with the G0733 and the upgraded motor on the G0766. If you have info that is different, please chime in .....thanks Robert!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-30-2014 at 7:30 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

question is bigger better?????????????

how many times have you wanted to do a piece but your lathe was too small????????

I just do not have anywhere to put large turnings.....I have a friend out west that has large pottery outside, but even their lack of rain, woodturnings finish would not hold up outside

3. Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post

how many times have you wanted to do a piece but your lathe was too small????????

I just do not have anywhere to put large turnings.....I have a friend out west that has large pottery outside, but even their lack of rain, woodturnings finish would not hold up outside
    For me personally, Charlie.......I have several reasons for wanting a bigger lathe. That is my motivation, and is probably unique to me, and my personal circumstances, which I will not share on a message board that goes around the world, but let's just say in balance, I am thinking I will get a lot of bang for the buck, and not have to change chucks and other accessories I already have invested in previously.

To compare apples to apples I compare the Amp draw rather than "horsepower" as interpreted by the company (or their marketing department). For example the Delta midi lathe is advertised with a 1 HP motor, yet it only draws 8 Amps. My older Delta with a 3/4 HP motor draws 9.8 Amps.

It would be interesting to compare the Amp specs of the Grizzly 2 and 3 HP motors with the PM equivalent, and with older motors as well. I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference though.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    To compare apples to apples I compare the Amp draw rather than "horsepower" as interpreted by the company (or their marketing department). For example the Delta midi lathe is advertised with a 1 HP motor, yet it only draws 8 Amps. My older Delta with a 3/4 HP motor draws 9.8 Amps.

It would be interesting to compare the Amp specs of the Grizzly 2 and 3 HP motors with the PM equivalent, and with older motors as well. I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference though.
    I do know that the G0766 is listed in the catalog as needing a power supply of 15 amps with 220v......... the specs on the PM 3520b are 6 amps on the 2 hp motor and needs a 20 amp circuit power supply. My G0698 is 2 hp and draws 12 amps. Not sure exactly how that translates in difference.......most likely in motor efficiency.

Also need to keep in mind these are 3-phase motors so if 6 Amps is on the motor plate it would be like 18 Amps at 120V and run 9 Amps at 240V through the VFD. (Somebody flag me down if I'm getting this all wrong.)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post

If a 3/4 HP motor draws 9.8 amps, it's about 50% efficient. The efficiency of the G0698 would be just a bit higher than that. Possible, yes, but a bit of speculation with out more data.

Because PM recommends a 20 amp circuit, doesn't mean the lathe will pull 20 amps. I pretty much guarantee it doesn't May just mean the supply a 20 Amp plug.

Amps doesn't really tell me much more than HP. Roger is right about the efficiency thing. Without knowing that, it's still an apples/oranges thing.

Roger, I am really looking forward to seeing more on the G0766. Think I might be interested in it especially at that intro price!

One or two issues with the electrical supply requirement. A motor may draw more current when starting than after its running. The breaker and building wiring needs to be able to handle the over-current. Secondly, code requires certain size breakers depending on normal draw to allow for when the motor is under load. Certain wire size and plug type are required depending on breaker size. Electrical code is created by fire insurance companies to prevent fires.

From Wikipedia (emphasis mine):
    The horsepower used for electrical machines is defined as exactly 746 W. ... The nameplates on electrical motors show their power output, not their power input. Outside the United States watts or kilowatts are generally used for electric motor ratings and in such usage it is the input power that is stated.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

9. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    One or two issues with the electrical supply requirement. A motor may draw more current when starting than after its running. The breaker and building wiring needs to be able to handle the over-current. Secondly, code requires certain size breakers depending on normal draw to allow for when the motor is under load. Certain wire size and plug type are required depending on breaker size. Electrical code is created by fire insurance companies to prevent fires.

From Wikipedia (emphasis mine):

The horsepower used for electrical machines is defined as exactly 746 W. ... The nameplates on electrical motors show their power output, not their power input. Outside the United States watts or kilowatts are generally used for electric motor ratings and in such usage it is the input power that is stated.
    Thom.........you are correct about the draw of power. My current lathe draws 12 amps.......I have it on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. A motor listed with a 3hp output is a motor with 3 hp output as far as I know. Since I cannot at this point actually look at a G0766 motor [the units will not be in stock for 6 weeks, from what the tech guy at Grizzly told me] then I will just have to believe the power is similar in nature to a 3 hp motor on a PM unit or a Jet [if it had a 3 hp unit]

Power transfer is another part of the equation.........how that power is transferred to the spindle.........this lathe is basically the same as others......so not sure what Robert's concern was when he asked about where Grizzly hp rating fit. That kind of info probably could be supplied by an electrical engineer, but not by me!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    ...so not sure what Robert's concern was when he asked about where Grizzly hp rating fit. That kind of info probably could be supplied by an electrical engineer, but not by me!
    The discussion of amps drawn etc (such as Thom's comment about input and output) and other aspects of comparison was exactly what I was interested in finding out, from whoever might know something. Electrical matters and me are fundamentally incompatible (an early undergrad course in electricity and magnetism made me decide my intended physics/astronomy major was not going to happen -- I ended up with a BA in Latin and graduate study in Near Eastern archaeology!).

As Thom noted, start up may require higher draw than running once started. I found that with my Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    The price remained $1695 on the G0733....I am about 85% there on pulling the trigger on this, David! Parts list and schematic drawings next for my inspection. Will likely go to Muncy, PA and pick it up!
    That's sure a beautiful drive up the Susquehanna, and you could kick the tires in the showroom before committing. We did that for our G0733, but combined it with a visit to see good turning friends in Bloomsburg, just down the road. Grizzly would probably ship it for about $150. That would be tempting.

Perhaps Roger can find out whether the spindle has double or triple bearings and whether they are sealed. That might be another consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Perhaps Roger can find out whether the spindle has double or triple bearings and whether they are sealed. That might be another consideration.
    John, I know for sure my G0698 has double sealed bearings (2 of them) same with the G0733. On the new G0766, the picture in the catalog shows an extended spindle to accommodate the hand wheel. I do not know if they added an additional bearing, but I am certain they use high quality sealed bearings. The only difference in the bearings on my current lathe and the 3520b is they are just a little larger on the 3520b....I ordered a set for my lathe but have not needed to swap them out as the originals are still just fine.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-31-2014 at 6:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    Only in some cases. Motors are typically run at 50-100% load with 75% load considered optimum. So the question is how much do you load the motor on a lathe ? answer depends on what you turn - how big and how fast. I recently started turning miniatures and use the highest RPM my lathe will give me. My wife asked if I could not use a smaller lathe better and found one designed for turning miniatures - it runs 1000RPM to 5000RPM and is only 11" long. Uses collets for chucking.

Roger seems to think that he needs bigger, so for him YES bigger is better.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

15. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Only in some cases. Motors are typically run at 50-100% load with 75% load considered optimum. So the question is how much do you load the motor on a lathe ? answer depends on what you turn - how big and how fast. I recently started turning miniatures and use the highest RPM my lathe will give me. My wife asked if I could not use a smaller lathe better and found one designed for turning miniatures - it runs 1000RPM to 5000RPM and is only 11" long. Uses collets for chucking.

Roger seems to think that he needs bigger, so for him YES bigger is better.
    while my current lathe is 2 hp, I want to get a coring rig at some point. My current lathe will handle it, but additional power will mean less stress on motor & electrical components, so longevity is in my mind and I think a larger lathe will handle it better.

One of several reasons why!