Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Powermatic 8 inch JOINTER, price seems high to me.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    John:

1. I don't think any of the replies were intended to be definitive absent an inspection. Not quite sure how you read that into them.

Kent
    Sorry. I didn't mean to make that implication either, although I can see now how it might be taken that way. Just that it is not possible to really know without looking it over. And things to consider in addition to the condition of the tables.

I have used PM 60 jointers in a number of school shops and they are great machines; solid, durable and easy to work on if necessary. I have also converted two of them to Byrd heads and it is a very worthwhile conversion, and only takes about an hour.

That being said, I also used an 8" Grizzly with a spiral head at home for a number of years and was perfectly satisfied with it. I only sold it recently because I found a nice 12" jointer.

Given the relative scarcity of 8" jointers compared to 6" models and their high demand, I don't think the price is out of line; you could buy it and put a Byrd head in it and still be in the ballpark for the price of a spiral head Grizzly.

Like many others have stated, it depends on the condition.
    If there was nothing wrong with that Jointer, and everything functioned properly, I'd buy for that one, over a new one with a warranty.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It's supply and demand. Many people would like to have a good old 8" Delta or Powermatic jointer (including me, I've been looking for a while), there aren't so many around, hence the value stays high. In my area (Boston) I would say $800 is typical for one of these machines on CL over the last six months. The optimists ask $1200, the ones that list for $600 are gone before you call unless there is a problem with them.

Blog Entries
    To the basic question, the price is too high IMHO. PM has a loyal following and even at today's quality, folks still pay a premium for them. If the machine has been well cared for, it is probably pretty solid. It is old enough to have a quality motor without being so old that it lacks semi-modern refinements (bearings versus oil-cups ).

As John P mentions a full inspection would have to be done. This inspection would have to reveal a near pristine machine for it to get that price from me. Jointers are pretty basic machines but, while that means there is little to go wrong, it also means that a little thing wrong can cause trouble.

If the dovetail ways are not worn, everything is true or can be made so and the electrical is sound, it could be worth the money to you just for the old-arn bragging rights. I am biased as I walked away from knifed machines (went spiral) years ago and would be loath to go back. Others have different opinions.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I do some buying and selling of machines. If everything is in working order I would say $600-800. It all depends on your market and how often 8" Jointers show up for sale. I'm a firm believer that I never buy anything unless its a steal or I really really need it now. Earlier this year I bought an 8" Powermatic Jointer at action for a ridiculously cheap price $175 i think.. I cleaned it up. checked the bearings, Installed a VFD, aligned it, put new knives in it, and sold it for $700. Just to give you an idea. I would not pay $800 for one that has just been sitting in someones shop.
    Also just a frame of refrence I picked up a 12" Moak jointer for $600 at auction. It needed a little work but man that baby hums and now I have a $1500-2500 jointer.

7. Unless that jointer has been repainted that is the pea green. I have a 1976 PM 8 Forrest green jointer that I would not trade for any brand new jointer. It is American made and heavy cast iron. I bought mine from a cabinet shop and it was still in great shape. It is extremely flat and I regularly edge joint 8 and 10 foot boards with this machine. Go look at it if it's in good shape buy it. It will last a life time.

I paid $937 for one last year.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...06#post2157806
    But it came with a few accessories:
    Band saw, planer, 2 tablesaws, disc sander, RAS.

Point is that old iron can often be had for low $$. More important - IS IT WORTH IT TO YOU??
    And remember to figure in the cost of transportation - With taxes, tags, repairs, depreciation and insurance I figure my duallie costs about $1/mile.

As far as that jointer goes I wouldn't look at one that costs more than half what a new one costs delivered to my door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

I have a 12" Jointer that I bought in 2008 ish .. I cant remember what I paid for it . Does it really matter ? I know that each time I turn it on, its impressive how nice it is to use. I bet that Powermatic would be the same. American built during a period when quality was more important than price . That jointer may not be worth $800 today, but it will be for sure in 5-10 years.

If the hobby is making chips.. then buy it ..

$800 seems fair but I would inspect and use prior to buying....Also, then make an offer based on what you feel..They can only say no....go w your instincts and knowledge...
    Jerry

Delta used to be the gold standard.
    They are NOT worth what they used to.
    Parts are nearly impossible.

It really should be measured upon functionality and not weight in pounds. Too much is made of pure weight.
    Those old battleships were sure heavy! Not sure they would be of much use in a modern scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan eagle View Post
    It really should be measured upon functionality and not weight in pounds. Too much is made of pure weight.
    Those old battleships were sure heavy! Not sure they would be of much use in a modern scenario.
    Woodworking machines are not Battleships either. They do generally benefit from additional weight if the weight is designed correctly. Jointers in particular ( bandsaws would also qualify ) need heavy castings for the tables and a heavy base. The vibration dampening of cast iron made it a great material for a base until it became too expensive. When machines went away from cast iron, the steel used instead was 3/4" thick or or more. Now 6mm is considered top of the line. Advances have been made to allow for less mass but when looking at used weight is still an indicator. I've owned and used machines from the 1920s to the present and can say that even the top end new won't last as long under use as some of the old stuff made by the same companies. Drop a few 75lb chunks on a jointer and the benefit of mass will become evident. While I would take a good condition PM 60 over most 8" made today, it isn't in the same league as an 8" Oliver, Yates, or northfield either. Dave